We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York floods September 2012

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
91 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
York floods September 2012

Is the Cedar Grand hotel affected by the floods?

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: York floods September 2012

No. After every flood the media show pictures of the York riverside because the flooded Kings Arms and surround "look pretty". the rest of York is well above river level including all the shops, hotels and attractions and are not affected. The only affect on visitors is closed riverside footpaths and some car parks plus access to 2 pubs, the aforementionned Kings Arms and the adjacent Lowther.

Having said that this is the worst flooding for 11 years so is quite spectacular and the river will only peak at 8am tomorrow (Thursday) morning, after which the flooding will begin to recede. This flood is similar to when there is a quick spring thaw of lying snow 50 miles upstream in the Dales, but on this occasion the heaviest rain fell in the Dales, then takes 2 days to reach York, although on this occasion York itself had about 2" rain in 36 hours.

York
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York floods September 2012

Yes very few buildings in York actually flood. The River Ouse in York floods regularly and mostly only tourists pay any attention to it. I don't know where the hotel you mention is located but it's very unlikely to be flooded

melbourne
Level Contributor
91 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York floods September 2012

Great news thanks for that.. MY sister was concerned as she has travelled from Australia for some reunion

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York floods September 2012

If you want to see how bad these floods get have a search for Durham floods, and it will show you how bad things can get.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York floods September 2012

The vast majority of the City is unaffected and it's business as usual for most of the historic core, its visitor attractions and accommodation.

Please don't let media reports deter you from visiting my City.

York, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: York floods September 2012

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM VISIT YORK:

You may be aware of the recent national media reports relating to localised flooding in York. We want assure you that all attractions, hotels, shops, bars and restaurants are open as usual, except a tiny few by the riverside where there is localised flooding. The transport network also operating normally.

There is absolutely no reason to cancel your visit and we hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay.

teesside
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York floods September 2012

Can you tell me if MaryGate car park is open? Can you still get to city centre via the river side footpath near car park . Thanks

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: York floods September 2012

I believe the flood defences for Marygate car park did their job. However, the riverside path is on the river side of the flood defences. I suggest you exit the car park at the top end and either walk up Marygate to Bootham and then right into the city centre or try the gate into the Museum Gardens and take the top path (on your left). The centre of York is just fine; only a couple of streets near the river flood although you would think the whole city was under water judging by some of the news coverage!

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: York floods September 2012

The flood defences for the city do work well now even if this means outlining areas are more prone to flooding. As said flooding doesn't really effect shops or hotels.

teesside
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: York floods September 2012

Thanks, coming to York tomorrow from Billingham and always use Marygate car park. Glad flooding is not as bad as media make out. We were going to cancel our visit , glad there is no need to now.

Edited: 1:12 pm, September 28, 2012