We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

Looking for recommendations on whether to stay at Cedar Court or Middlethorpe for 2 nights in September. Both look lovely, but my husband and I will just be arriving from US and want a comfortable stay near sites while adjusting to time change. Any recommendations?

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

Cedar Court is more convenient for the sights but Middlethorpe Hall is 18 th century elegance at its best and would be my choice.

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

It really depends on how important location is to you. I've never stayed at either, so I can't really compare them in that sense, but the Cedar Court is right at the heart of York, within the city walls and a couple of minutes' walk from the Minster and the city centre, while Middlethorpe Hall is a good few miles away so you'll be taking taxis. Of course, a city centre location might well also mean more ambient noise of an evening, though I'm sure they soundproofed when they converted the building.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

My choice would be Middlethorpe Hall. Amazing setting, wonderful food and I am sure you would appreciate the gracious building too .I have had many a wonderful meal here.

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
829 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

Cedar Court is the only 5 star hotel and is very well appointed. It is also dead central for all sightseeing. Middlethorpe Hall is also very good but in the middle of nowhere near Bishopthorpe - which means you just can't pop out for a walk to anywhere if you fancy it.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

Middlethorpe hall is a couple of miles out of town, certainly not in the middle of nowhere. yes, it is a taxi ride or bus into town but it isn't that far and Bishopthorpe is a nice village with a couple of pubs

6. Re: Cedar Court Grand or Middlethorpe Hall for 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 10, 2013