We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

estimated driving times

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
estimated driving times

We will be traveling by rental car in June. I am in need of estimates as to how long it will take to get from place to place.

1. Bath to York

2. York to Edinburgh

3. Edinburg to Pitlochry

4. Pitlochry to Inverness

5. Inverness to Fort Williams

6. Fort Williams to Glasgow

Also, any suggestions as to the best method to picking up a rental car (we will staying in London without a car the first week)?

Thanks!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: estimated driving times

1. Bath to York - 232 miles, 3 1/2 hours

2. York to Edinburgh - 210 miles, 3 1/2 hours

3. Edinburg to Pitlochry - 68 miles, 1 1/4 hors

4. Pitlochry to Inverness - 86 miles, 1 1/2 hours

5. Inverness to Fort Williams - 71 miles, 1 1/2 hours

6. Fort Williams to Glasgow - 110 miles, 2 hours

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: estimated driving times

Hello, TNfreckles. Heathrow or Gatwick are the best places to get and return rental cars. For several reasons it's not a good idea to drive in central London. To get in and out of central London you can take the Heathrow Express, the Tube, a cab, or private driver, or Hotelink if you're staying at a participating hotel.

The Automobile Association website has a good route planner function that very quickly gives you routes, miles and times. Try it at www.theaa.com. Please note that the times are generally for ideal conditions and you should always allow more time.

The search function at the top right of this thread is really great. Give it a try to find loads of good details on driving, car hire, etc. Make sure you're in the UK forum, not a smaller forum, when you do a search.

Welcome to the forum and ask away. Have fun planning!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: estimated driving times

I think Mr Celophane's estimates are rather over optimistic!!

And are based on not stopping and beiing able to do 70 the whole way which you will most certainly not be able to do.

I would give Bath to York 5 hours

York to Edinburgh 5 hours

Edinburgh/Pitlocry 3 hours

Pitlochry/Inverness 2 hours

Inverness/ Fort William 2 hours

Fort William/Glasgow 2 1/2

Remember that roads in the UK especially Scotland, are never straight and some are also very narrow which means having to slow down more than you would normally expect to.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: estimated driving times

Thank you all very much! This will help me know if we have time for stops along the way or if we really need to push it.

sheffield
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: estimated driving times

i would advvise you leave yourself plenty of time for leg 6 of your drive as the views are fantastic, and you may want plenty of stops

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: estimated driving times

My times came from AutoRoute. I went from Essex to Durham last week and it was spot on at 4 hours.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: estimated driving times

At what speed?!

And do you stop to pee?!

It takes me two hours to get to Durham from Doncaster and it takes me 2 1/2 hours from Stevenage to Doncaster and that's at the speed limit!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: estimated driving times

The joys of being able to hire a car with cruise control. I managed to hold the speed limit exactly all the way.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: estimated driving times

I use www.viamichelin.com (or something similar) to get the recommended route, distance, times etc. Have had two driving trips similar to yours, and the maps made life easy. There's also step by step instructions.

I hired our car from Streatham London (Alamo) because that's where we stayed with our neice, however I hired it through holidayautos.com or dirveaway.com. - one of those. I definitely would avoid picking up a car from central London or any of the major airports.

I hired the cars over the net, which gave me a voucher, allowed me to prepay and I've never had a problem, EXCEPT that the insurance you pay online is NEVER going to cover you for everything. Allow an extra 8 - 10 pounds per day for the insurance that will reduce your excess payment to 50 pounds and cover windscreen damage and damage to the roof and undercarriage fo the vehicle.

Enjoy your holday....

Sandra