We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel Of York

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nowhere
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel Of York

We are planning to stay in York for couple of days and we are looking for a good(great in fact) hotel. Normally, I choose chain hotels( Hilton, Macdonald....) and i have hilton honors card(i will get an upgrade) but still i am thinkin of another hotel.(hilton york seems like old-by looking at reviews) where should i stay.... Thanks in advance....

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel Of York

Jem: From the reviews on this site, Bishops Hotel is the #1 recommended hotel and Carlton House Hotel is #2. If price is not important, why don't you stay at Middlethorpe Hall & Spa?

Nowhere
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel Of York

in fact i was thinkin of Royal York? or if i cant find st else i will just go for Hilton York(central and HHonors)...

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel Of York

Jem: I've stayed at the Royal York both times I visited. It's right next to the train station so very convenient for taking rail day trips and about a 10 minute walk into the center of town.

Nowhere
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel Of York

thanks LeeB. , in fact we will come from manchester by train and then we will go back to london by train so it makes sense. What about Royal York conditions other that location?? Also, do you know if there is a train to Howard Castle?

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel Of York

If you do go to the Hilton in York you won't be disappointed - it's really central with rooms at the front having views of the castle.

I'm a York local but I stayed there for my wedding night and was generally impressed, though the decor was a bit chintzy for my taste.

I've not stayed in the Royal York but I walk through the public areas sometimes as I use their barber when I need a haircut. Looks very swish and really couldn't get much more convenient for the station. There's even a special back door that opens straight onto the platform in case it's raining...

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel Of York

There's no train to Castle Howard and as far as I know relatively few service buses.

You might be able to get on an organised tour from York (ask at the tourist office), otherwise your best bet is to hire a car - it's not far.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel Of York

Jem: There are lots of different room configurations at the Royal York. We did manage to have a quick look-in at the huge suite overlooking the main entrance -- if you have the money, go for it. Otherwise, the rooms are pretty standard but their website says they've recently renovated.

York
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel Of York

I would agree with Middlethorpe Hall if you are looking for something a bit special, but it is a taxi ride from the centre (@2 miles out). Bishops looks lovely too, but I think it is more like a large guest house than a hotel (I might be wrong). I have always heard good things about Bishops.Middlethorpe has an execellent restaurant, and also boasts a health spa etc.