We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips to Whitby

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips to Whitby

Does anybody know of a coach trip or a reasonable private hire company that will do a day trip to Whitby fron York?

I have been searching for ages and thought if anybody would know it would be Trip Advisor.

We will be staying at the Queens Hotel, York from 8th to 14th April and want a more direct route to Whitby than to spend half the day travelling there.

Any ideas?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,662 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

The Coastliner 840 bus runs from York to Whitby, three times a day. The journey time is about 2 hours 15 minutes. I'm not sure anyone else would do it much quicker.

http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

Whitby does have a train station but I don't know where the trains to Whitby start. Also if you say take the train to Scarbrough then bussed it there'd be an extra hour on top, so look at trains for a direct service to Whitby as there is a good service and www.nationalrail.co.uk will let you find details

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

You have to go to Middlesborough to get the train to Whitby so the bus from York would probably be quicker. The train from York to Scarborough takes about 50 minutes and then you have to get the bus. That could be marginally quicker than one bus all the way.

It might be worth contacting York TIC to see if they have details of any local coach companies running day trips in the period you want.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

To travel to Whitby by train from York you have to go from York to Middlesborough and then down to Whitby; this journey takes from 2 hr 30 to above 3 hrs so the Coastliner would be quicker, really. You could take the NYMR from Pickering but this is hardly likely to save you time getting to/from the coast.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

That steam train is expensive and doesn't even stop at Whitby you'd need to change for the normal train anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

NYMR does indeed serve Whitby - we have used it - but we'd also suggest the Coastliner bus service from York in preference to the NYMR for views across the moors especially from the top deck of the bus.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

Don't faff about taking the train to Scarborough and then the bus (although that is an option and quite a plesant trip), just take the Coastliner bus direct from York to Whitby - it is a scenic ride and the buses are quite comfortable - a notch above the usual! Here is their own website: www.yorkshirecoastliner.co.uk. Enjoy your trip!

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

There is just one downside to Coastliner. On a nice day the bus both ways can be packed with English concession ticket holders who get the entire ride from Leeds via York to Whitby at no cost and the bus can be packed both ways. Not unheard of for some passengers to have to stand for the entire journey! Best to catch a pre 9am bus if possible when, except for the weekends, the pass cannot be used.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

That's odd my pass works at weekends so I wonder if the policy has changed up there.

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips to Whitby

No, I think he meant that the pass can't be used before 9am, except on weekends when it can.