We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morgana

Which York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Morgana

Well we did get a car in Northallerton. Now I have to phone them to see if they'll pick us up at Oswalds.When we visit York are we smart to use the Park and Ride at Rawlings Bar??

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morgana

Sorry Laing, I have to confess never having used the Park and Ride! I tend to use the train to travel into York, or else I know some back streets where I can leave my car.

Sorry!

M

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Morgana

Yes use the park and ride if you drive to York, unless staying only a couple of hours or so. I assume you mean Rawcliffe Bar, this is the P&R on the North side of York by the ring road.

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morgana

That's it Robin!

As we are not used to driving in England the easier I can make it for my husband the better! Morgana that Cafe Concerto site is fabulous. Now I've got that music stuck in my head!! We will be going there now as you mentioned it was a good spot for lunch. We hope to spend the whole day in York...walk the walls, get the double decker bus ride?...see York Minster, walk the shambles etc. Also thought we might go into a bar called the Living Room. Good spot or a little pricey?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morgana

Cafe Concerto is a very good lunch spot.

The Living Room is part of a chain of bars/restaurants. I have been to the Leeds one but not the one in York. Food is well above average and the surroundings are normally nice.

www.thelivingroom.co.uk

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morgana

Well I've decided on one "different "day while we are in Sutton Hall. We will go by train to Edinburgh for a day . We arrive at 10:00 and leave at 16:00 .(lordy I have to keep counting on my fingers what 16:00 means!)Anyway I understand most of what it said on the trip planner...hope there isn't any problem getting from train to train,... but we go to a place called "Thornaby". I can't find it on the map. Any idea where it is??

Do you travel by train and have to change trains? I'm not afraid to ask but I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of different train lines you have! Morgana any certain fay we should de your Dales trip because of markets? Will be doing

1.York

2.Dales

3.Moors and that train near Whitby (and fish and chips!)

4. Edinburgh

and just driving around Sutton Hall area. Kind of exciting now that it is all coming together!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morgana

Hi There's a place called Thormanby near you, but don't think it has a railway station?

I hope a train expert will be able to help you, as when I go to Edinburgh I get a direct GNER train from York.

As far as the Dales trip, avoid Sunday, and go on a week day (not Saturday) if your can.

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morgana

Ok that's weird when you don't know of a village near thirsk (that IS how they spelled it!!!)! The train departs Darlington by Northern Rail and arrives at Thornaby. We change trains to the Transpennine train and it only takes 30 minutes to get to Thirsk from there. Are some of these trains more reliable than others? I really have to be sure of what I am doing as hubby will be really ticked if we're stranded in some village with no way back to Sutton Hall. Should I post this question about Thornaby on another new thread?

Sunderland, UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morgana

Hi,

Thornaby is between Middlesborough and Stockton and is famous (well a little bit) for its....... Railway Station and its link with the Transpennine Express!!

Check out:

http://thornaby.8m.com/custom.html

Best wishes

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morgana

Thanks Ian, lol.

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morgana

Thanks as well Ian! That site did not get any matches though, and I couldn't get into it.