We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A "York Eye" wheel planned

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
A "York Eye" wheel planned

What do you think of the proposal to put a London Eye lookalike on the grounds of the National Railway Museum in York? It sounds like a done deal.

See more here:

24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART33376.html

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A "York Eye" wheel planned

Britfan: I think it's a great idea. But I wonder what the citizens of York feel?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A "York Eye" wheel planned

I wish they had come up with something else, myself. Part of what's so cool about the Eye is that it is the one and only original, although I believe it's been done elsewhere now, not in UK. It's just such a . . . copy. It also doesn't fit with the sense of York as a medieval city. Something more along the line of the Space Needle or Eiffel Tower or Blackpool thing would seem more fitting.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A "York Eye" wheel planned

I think it's ridiculous. It will turn the NRM into a funfair and be a blot on the landscape, just like that horror in London.

USA
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A "York Eye" wheel planned

They could also have a city motto--"York! We don't have any original ideas!"

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A "York Eye" wheel planned

Am I the only one not to be getting my rocks off over a large ferris wheel - are you telling me tourists will come from all over the world just to see that.

I'm still trying to work out what people see in the London one when one can climb to the top of St Pauls cathedral for less than half the cost, learn something on the way and see just as good if not a better view.

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A "York Eye" wheel planned

6andy6

You just answered your own question - they have to *climb*. No-one likes effort.

But no, as someone who lives near the NRM, it doesn't particularly bother me either way. I think it'll be a bit pants and derivative, added to the fact that the NRM isn't exactly in the most picturesque bit of town (surrounded by - whaddya know - railway lines).

On the other hand, I have no particular problem with it. It just strikes me as a bit of a non-sequitur. "Let's go to the Railway Museum and ride on the big wheel". It's a bit like the whole London Planetarium thing. Who cares if it's relevant as long as we bring in the kids?