We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
758 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

Hi all- I'll be in York on 2 March and my daughter wants to go to Edinburgh to catch up with some friends that are living there. What's the best (quickest, safest & cheapest) way to get there and can you please advise website names? I've found the train sites very complicating. Thanks for your assistance...

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,233 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

Train is quicker, coach is cheaper but slower. Both are safe. Best not to rely on websites, I find a visit to the station will. at York in your case, gives more reliable uptodate information

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

Train is the quickest way: it's a direct route. Most trains between York and Edinburgh are run by GNER (starting from London Kings Cross), but the trains originating from points south-west of Birmingham New Street are run by Virgin Trains.

Go to the live departures board for York Station for an initial insight into service frequency, reliability and length of journey (any trains from York to Glasgow Central, Dundee, Inverness or Aberdeen will also call at Edinburgh):

livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldb/summary.aspx…

Go to National Rail for timetable information.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Go to thetrainline for timetable information and to book tickets.

http://www.thetrainline.com/

Go to GNER for a copy of the printed timetable (.pdf) or to book tickets for travelling exclusively with this train company.

http://www.gner.co.uk/

Go to Virgin Trains to book tickets for travelling exclusively with this train company.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

If you book a 'Saver Return' ticket you can normally use it on any train company's services, except at certain peak times. However this type of ticket belies its name and is not usually very good value at all.

If you want a bargain fare (e.g. GNER Apex or Virgin Value) you can only use it on one company's trains on a specific day on a specific train. And you need to book in advance during an elusive 'window of opportunity', when the train companies have become fully aware of any scheduled disruptions to their services.

If your daughter is under 26 she can buy a Young Person's Railcard for 20 GBP, valid for a year, which provides around one-third discount on 'Saver' tickets (but no further savings on bargain fares). This could pay for itself with just one or two trips.

There is also a National Express coach service from York to Edinburgh, but this runs only once per day and takes around 5 hours 30 minutes. It costs either 30.50 or 36.50 return, depending on dates of travel.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Can't really say which is the safest means of travel. If your daughter is old enough to travel alone, then there shouldn't be any problems. But I don't recommend hitch-hiking!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

I agree both are safe, train is generally quicker and coach is generally cheaper.

For up to date, accurate infromation on timetables and ticket prices of all trains in the UK see www.thetrainline.com

You will need to register to see ticket prices but that is free.

For long distance buses see www.nationalexpress.com

Enjoy your trip

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

HI there

As a woman who travels on my own frquently I rec GNER York to Edinburgh, as I find the staff are very protoctive for women travelling on their own Your daughters freinds can use the live link to check progress of train ie going to be late ect.

Hope she does come up to Scotland and enjoy our wonderful country. Edinburgh has lots to offer

York
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

hello, I have lived in York all my life, love the place and hope you do too. I sometimes visit a friend in Edinburgh and have always used the train. I travel by GNER it takes just over 2 hours so if it a quick visit just the job, there and back in a day. Hope you enjoy your visit,both cities are beautiful. While in York make sure you check out the Minster, Jorvik Centre, Castle, The Shambles and the Castle Museum and top tip for lunch is Oscars Wine Bar in Stonegate!

York
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

If you buy singles rather than return tickets and you do so well in advance, you can bag yourself a real bargain! The Trainline will advise but by doing it this way, you could be paying around 20 pounds for the return trip with singles rather than almost 70 pounds if you buy a return ticket!!

York
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

If you buy two singles rather than a return ticket and you do so well in advance, you could bag yourself a real bargain by travelling on the train! The Trainline will give you the full details, but you could pay around 20 pounds by booking your tickets this way rather than almost 70 pounds if you were to buy a return. (and that's a saving per person!!)

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

Rail always.

I prefer GNER to Virgin, and you can get a great full breakfast on GNER.

Remember sit on the right hand side facing direction of travel, you will travel through Darlington (Birthplace of public railways), Durham, view of cathederal as you cross viaduct prior to station, Newcastle view the Tyne bridges on the approach to the station. North of Newcastle view Northumberland coast and Holy Island, views of Berwick from Royal Border Bridge, and finally cliff top views travelling north of Berwick.

The view from coaches is not as good.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or coach from York to Edinburgh

In addition to what mi13ke mentioned, I like the Angel of the North sculpture, which you can see as you're heading into Newcastle.