We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Birthday

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
50th Birthday

My daughters are wanting to take me to York for my 50th Bithday can anyone suggest a decent hotel on river front and also somewhere nice to eat out

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 50th Birthday

The girls had me on and have booked us into the Hilton first weekend in July would appreciate any advise please on places to eat in that area

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 50th Birthday

Oh that's wonderful! What a nice surprise!

One of my favourite restaurants is Rustique Bistro (turn left out of the Hilton and then left around the next corner). Great price-fix menu, something along the lines of £9.95 for two course before 7.30 and not the usual rubbish you have to choose from.

A nice Italian is The Olive Tree (turn right out of the door of the Hilton, you can't miss it).

You're really well located with the Hilton so even though these two are my favourite in close proximity you're not far from anywhere.

Also pretty close to York's own 'restaurant row' - Fossgate.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 50th Birthday

Second both of the above. Would also add:

The Blue Bicycle, 34 Fossgate. Housed by the river in an old brothel! Wonderful food, French style, great atmosphere.

Harvilles: Also on Fossgate. I think the best steaks in York (and a lot of other places). Also do seafood including oysters and rather fab cocktails. Not cheap but definitely worth every penny. Rather stylish atmosphere

Masons: Also on Fossgate!!! Bistro style restaurant with loads of atmosphere and quite an adventurous menu - always specials on the blackboard. Good value.

Ate O'Clock, 13A High Ousegate - great bistro style, very atmospheric, lovely food.

Try googling these - they're all online and all walkable easily from the Hilton.

Hope you have a fantastic weekend in our lovely city. If you're in the mood for a special Sunday Lunch can recommend the restaurant of the Deans Court Hotel. It's right opposite the Minster - you get a stupendous view, the set lunch is about £18 for 3 courses and the food is rated top knotch.

Alternatively if the weather is right, get yourself a gourmet picnic from one of deli and eat in the Museum Gardens or the little park opposite the Castle and by the river.

Allie

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 50th Birthday

Thanks again for all you great recomendations, i am sure we will try some out ( pity not there long enough for them all ), going to make a note of them all and take with just one last thing then i leave you alone what are the directions for fossgate from hilton we will be on foot for obvious reasond !!

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 50th Birthday

sorry thats reasons

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 50th Birthday

Directions to Fossgate:

Come out of the Hilton and turn left.

Turn left again and then bear right into Coppergate Shopping Centre (Fenwicks and the Jorvik Centre).

Walk through and up to Coppergate and turn right.

Cross over at the traffic lights. Walk past Lloyds Bank and some shops.

Fossgate is the first turning on the right.

It's maybe 5 minutes walk from your hotel.

Allie

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 50th Birthday

i have made a list of the places recomended and have even managed to find some of the menus on the internet sites, they all seem to be exactly what we are looking for "cant wait" thanks again for taking the time to reply

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 50th Birthday

Hello all,

Just back after a very nice weekend dispite the weather, had some really nice meals ate at Rustique bistro twice once in the evening and once for lunch ( although did feel a bit guilty eating the duck )excellent food and service at a decent price, also went to the Living Rooms where although a little more expensive again excellent food. Not to forget the cocktail or 2 or 3 we had at Henry J Beans purchased a wild card for £2 which gave you 15% off food, and discount on wine & drinks inc £1 off each cocktail so was worth it weight in gold to us?

Thanks again for all your help and advise prior to our going, we will definitely be coming back if weather picks up well worth the money

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 50th Birthday

Thank you for reporting back!

Very glad to hear you had a good time and especially pleased you enjoyed Rustique since I recommended it.

Good info about the wild card at H J Bean's too.

Thanks again!

20. Re: 50th Birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, October 01, 2009