Hi, I'm new - found this site surfing for venues for our wedding in York.
There's loads of great tips on here re: hotels and restaurants, but a search on wedding venues didn't yield too many results, so am crossing fingers that you have some good suggestions re: venues we might try.
Here are our criteria:
* we have a decent but not huge budget (so we're not looking at exclusive use of a stately home or anything like that, but neither do we want a grotty Little-Chef style location)
* current thinking is March 09 (in case that impacts suggestions)
* there will be 50-60 people, all but a couple of them are not based in York (and many are not based in UK)
* we definitely want a civil ceremony, but we don't mind too much if it's in the reception venue or the registry office itself (but if we go for the registry office, then the reception has to be within max 20 minutes travel time of the registry office)
* somewhere fairly central, or at least easy to get to - ideally with a bit of a wow-factor (bearing in mind all the beautiful locations there are in York, it would seem a shame to not take advantage)
* average age of guests (and us) is late 30's / early 40's - we're not too old for a good knees-up (disco is a must, really, else there'll be hell to pay), but we're not in the target market for Club 18-30 style do's
A little about us:
* we're both from Yorkshire (and I was born and grew up in York itself), and are now settled in Germany. So we're having to plan long-distance, but we're popping over for a long weekend next week to check out some venues
* my parents both still live in York, but are too old and infirm to jaunt about doing research for us (their state of health is one of the main reasons behind the choice of York as the locations)
We've done quite a lot of web research, phoned some venues, got some brochures etc. We've already made a few appointments (Grange Hotel, St. Williams College, Hospitium) for next weekend, and were planning on phoning Monkbar Hotel, Judges Lodgings and maybe Royal York to set up some more.
What I'm really looking for, if poss, is your personal impressions of weddings you (or your friends/colleagues) might have been to locally in the last couple of years or so.
Are the ones on our short-list any good? Any experiences of them, good or bad? Or even mediocre? Are there any great locations that we might have missed?
We don't have any friends or (mobile) family in York to ask for ideas or a second opinion on any of these places, so any input at all would be very gratefully received :)
Thanks in advance!