We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip help

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip help

Hi,

My Dad is hoping to plan a surprise trip to York for my Mum as a wedding anniversary present.

They are hoping to go next weekend (Fri 20th for 2 nights) - short notice I know but my Mum is ill & everything has to be planned at short notice!

Mum is unable to walk too far so I'm looking for a centrally located hotel/B&B where they can chill out within walking distance of all the main attractions.

Their budget is quite small for York - less than £100 per room per night. I have looked at the Bootham Gardens Guest House which looks lovely but the only thing is it doesn't have a bar & if Mum gets tired or ill, Dad might want a drink in the hotel bar.

Am I asking the impossible or do you think they'll find anywhere at such short notice?

Thanks,

Maz

York
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip help

Hi

£100 is still a good budget and would be way above the price of most Guest Houses.

Have a look at www.visityork.org where you can search for your dates and get all available options. This is the York Tourism Bureau site so all options are inspected by Visit Britain or AA. You could ring them on 01904 550099 as they offer, for a fee, a booking service.

If you have a few places in mind it is always worth ringing direct for a price as they may offer a better rate than advertised.

All the Best

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip help

Agree with the PP. At this short notice and to save hassle let the York Tourism people search for you. If you're unsure or want to ask questions about what they've found for you just post back.

My two personal favourites inside the city walls are the Guy Fawkes hotel and Four High Petergate but they're popular and may already be booked solid.

http://www.theguyfawkeshotel.com/

http://www.fourhighpetergate.co.uk/

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip help

You could check out Laterooms.co.uk. Many places have vacancies on one of your nights but not the other. I see 4 High Petergate has vacancies both nights but at full price of £100 per room per night. This is almost next to York Minster. City Centre may mean a little late night noise though so you may need ear plugs.