We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars/Pubs - a good night out

Bolton
Level Contributor
440 posts
50 reviews
Bars/Pubs - a good night out

Hi

Staying in York at the end of June at St Raphaels Guest house, after all the good reviews, we will probably eat at Ceasars on Saturday night but are there some good bars round there for afterwards, We are 3 ladies ( all 30+ ) and would like somewhere with some atmoshpere and good dancing music - but not full of kids etc!

Any suggestions anyone?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Bars/Pubs - a good night out

Not really I'm afraid!

There aren't any bars like you describe near to Caesars (good choice btw!). The area of Micklegate is the place you'll find people dancing although that area is popular for hen/stag nights. You'll generally find the young/trendy lot on the Caesars side of the river but not sure if that would be your scene.

Bolton
Level Contributor
440 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Bars/Pubs - a good night out

Thanks Ange, how far away are we from Micklegate where all the good bars are? Alternativley do you have any restaurant recommendations in this area?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Bars/Pubs - a good night out

You could walk it in about 10 mins. Its not that far. Where are you staying?

In the thick of the Micklegate area are two restaurants I'd recommend

Kapadokya - Turkish, on George Hudson Street.

Thida - Thai, also on George Hudson Street

I haven't tried any Italians in that area but there are a couple

http://www.delriosrestaurant.com/

and

http://www.thehopyork.com/

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Bars/Pubs - a good night out

I second Kapadokya - yummy Turkish food. I've heard good things about Delrio's as well, and it's certainly been around at least a decade which is always a good sign.

George Hudson Street (at the bottom of Micklegate) is generally full of restaurants of varying ethnicities. Kapadokya is at the Micklegate end, then there's Thida Thai as mentioned, then there's Rarity Steak and Seafood restaurant, an upmarket Indian whose name I forget and Jumbo's Chinese Buffet (which is definitely cheap and cheerful but the food's quite good. Their sticky pink ribs are particularly moreish IMHO.)

There's actually a few restaurants on Micklegate - there's an Indian place just inside Micklegate Bar at the top of the road, a couple of Italians on the way down. Brigantes Bar and Brasserie does good food, I'm told. We were actually there last night and the menu looked impressive, but it was a bit "posh" for our mood at the time so we went to the chip shop over the road - good fish and chips.

As ever, in a street full of pubs, there's a grotty fried chicken/pizza/kebab joint or two as well.

You shouldn't go hungry round there, at least. Micklegate is lively generally, which I guess is what you're after, though on a Saturday night in June there *will* be lots of stag and hen parties about. Difficult to suggest other places that there won't be, though, so it's probably still your best bet. At the bottom of Micklegate, there's Reflex the 80s bar (can be a bit rowdy from all accounts), then beyond the eateries on George Hudson Street there's a couple more clubs. I'd tell you their names but they'll have changed by June anyway. And Flares, the 70s bar.

Bolton
Level Contributor
440 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Bars/Pubs - a good night out

Thanks for your help with this, staying at St Raphaels Guest house which is just off Bootham.

I quite like the sound of the Turkish restaurant, will see what the others say.

Kerri

6. Re: Bars/Pubs - a good night out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, August 24, 2009