We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

I've been reading up on it and the distance and hills don't put us off. Would you say we could push a buggy down the main stretch of the path or is it too rough under foot?

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

You may be able to do it on the railway path but definitely not the cliff top path!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

Thanks Joe, It's hard to imagine what it's like without actually being there. I've had a look on google maps satellite but it doesnt get detailed enough to see how buggy wheels would cope. What are they views like from the old railway trail?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

Imagine a footpath, with bare ground where feet tramp, and rough grass either side. Usually a fence on one side and a cliff on the other. Not wide enough for a buggy.

Wakefield
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

The views are not great from the cycle path until after you have crossed the main road. Then the path goes downhill into RHB with great views of the sea on your left.

No problems with a buggy, but it can get a bit rough in parts.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

Thanks for all your replies. If she's not too fat by then, I might chance a baby sling instead of the pushchair. Failing that, will have to return when she owns her own walking boots...

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

I walk a fair bit but there are some up and downs on the coastal path that are fairly challenging if it is slippy due to rain - worth bearing in mind!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

Thank you. I think the baby will stick to the old railway path for the next couple of years...Many thanks for replying :-)

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

This photo shows a fairly typical section of the Cleveland Way (cliff-top path) between Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay: http://gybo.org.uk/photos/10cleveland7-19.jpg . There are about 4 or 5 gullies like that along the path – definitely not one to contemplate with a buggy!

Edited: 5:26 pm, May 07, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

Thank you! Now I've seen your pic, I realise how ridiculous my original idea was!

Many thanks xx

10. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations