We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Plans 2.0

Hershey...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Wedding Plans 2.0

Hello! So like my mum said in the previous post my fiance and I are going to be getting married in July 2007. We're focusing on finding a venue at the moment, which is proving to be quite difficult. North Yorkshire has been very dear to us, and we would like to have a ceremony/blessing outdoors to have the countryside as the backdrop.

We have checked with Whitby Abbey thus far, and we're not entirely satisfied with what they offer.

We are looking at places like Robin Hoods Bay or the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. Something I had in mind was having it at a nice pub, with the ceremony outdoors and the reception inside or in a beer garden at the pub. The key thing is *beautiful* scenery, whether it's moorland or scars.

Any other ideas or information would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

What about Bolton Abbey?

Or the nearby Barden Tower?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

Hi

You haven't mentioned the Yorkshire Dales? Are you considering this area?

The previous poster emtnions Bolton Abbey and Barden Tower, both beautiful places. Bolton Abbey has the Devonshire Arms which probably hosts weddings, but no doubt at quite a price!

I also don't know the logistics about getting married at pubs - is this something they do??

Anyway, here's a few suggestions for you in the Dales -

1) Bolton Castle near Leyburn

This castle looks like something out of a fairy story and is situated in the beautiful village of Castle Bolton, near Leyburn, in the Dales. I understand they do weddings here and I can't imagine anywhere much more romantic than being married in the medieval garden there.

www.boltoncastle.co.uk

2) Red Lion, Burnsall

If you want to know what Burnsall looks like it features in the film Calendar Girls. Again beautifull situated, great food - a really lovely place.

www.redlion.co.uk

3) York Arms, Ramgsill

www.yorke-arms.co.uk

My favourite restaurant ever(with rooms), but don't know if it does weddings.

4) Sportsmans Arms, Wath - www.sportsmans-arms.co.uk

Again I don't know the wedding situation.

5) Boars Head, Ripley/ Ripley Castle

Not in the Dales or Moors but a 'French Norman medieval' village just outside Harrogate, complete with Castle.

www.ripleycastle.co.uk

Hope this helps!

M

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

Hi - I am also looking at getting married in the area - particularly Robin Hoods Bay. Does anybody know if this is ever possible?

Thanks

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

Boojava,

Can I also ask what Whitby Abbey offer and how much it is?!

Thanks

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

You really do need to understand the legal position with regard to weddings in England and Wales. You can get married in a civil ceremony in E & W after the necessary preliminaries but it has to be at premises which are licensed. There is no chance at all that any outdoor premises would receive a licence. And whist it appears that the premises are licensed, it is actually the room or rooms within the licensed premise that weddings may be performed in.

Once you are legally married in a civil ceremony, you can do whatever you wish. It is extremely unlikely any registrar would ignore these requirements, and in the unlikely event they did, your marriage may not be legal. Make proper enquiries, either with your loccal register office, or the office in the district in which you intend to marry.

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

Thanks Aardvark, I am aware of these issues, hence my questions to boojava about exactly what they have been offered. It is not unusual to have a "legal" ceremony and a simple signing of the registrar in your local registry office but still have a "wedding" ceremony as such in a more unusual venue such as the open air of Whitby Abbey.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

Thanks for all your help and information. I'm completely aware of the marriage laws in England and Wales (and now we're working on the immigration laws of England and the USA...) I met the Whitby Abbey people a month ago to work out logistics and set the date. It is simply a blessing ceremony. Because of immigration stuff, we're going to have the actual legal wedding at a registry office just after Christmas.

The starting cost of a blessing ceremony at Whitby Abbey is 250 pounds, and that's just permission to use the grounds for the blessing and photos and up to 25 people (more money for more people). They cannot close the grounds to the public during the ceremony, but that's fine by us. If you can wait a bit, the youth hostel next to it has taken over the old Tudor building and is in the process of remodelling it. They're considering having it licensed for civil wedding ceremonies.

Thanks for all your help and good luck to others!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding Plans 2.0

Hi boojava, it seems you've probably decided on Whitby Abbey now (and why not? It's fabulous!) but I note that you can have a civil ceremony at two stunning National Trust properties in North Yorkshire: Beningborough Hall, and, my favourite, Fountains Abbey. There is also a third venue in York. Take a look at the NT website and search for properties licenced for civil weddings from the drop-down box.

Best wishes for a wonderful wedding day!

Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations