We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train help please.

Staffs
Level Contributor
214 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Train help please.

We will be in Whitby next Sunday (28th) until the following Thursday. My 10 year old really wants to go on the Steam train again. Having looked at the website though, it looks like we can leave from Whitby but the train only comes back half way :-/ I was particularly interested in the Halloween train but again its not clear to me if it leaves from Whitby. Any ideas please?

York, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train help please.

I don't know if you'll get both ways by steam, but you should manage one of the ways and the other by an old deisel. If you just go from Whitby to Goathland it's far enough, you won't have to change and there's plenty to do at Goatland before returning - tea room / garden, station of Harry Potter films, through the Hearbeat village towards Mallyan Spout waterfall.

No need to go all the way to Pickering, the fun is seeing the trains at the station and you can climb onto the bridge and watch them coming.

nymr.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/timetable/ is the website you nee. Much of the work is done by volunteers - appreciate their commitment!

Staffs
Level Contributor
214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train help please.

Thanks, we have done it several times before so our son is really looking forward to it again. I'll pop into the station next week when we arrive and enquire about the Halloween special too.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train help please.

Yes, you can do it we discovered it basically, what you can do is catch the Network Rail train to the start of the line and basically change onto the steam train there, but depending on time you can go direct from Whitby, but to be honest we found the steam trains extremely expensive, more expensive than others we'd been on and I'm not sure if it's worth all the cost of the full distance as the train we were on the way back, the advertised trolley wasn't available so things may depend on the day of what staff and facilities they have available but I strongly recommend you get a bottle of water before you travel as if you don't and need a drink you may be stuck until your destination.

Staffs
Level Contributor
214 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train help please.

Sorted it. £45 for a family ticket. We had the steam train. Stopped off for lunch in Pickering then returned, changing at Grosmont to Whitby. Nice lazy day out.

5. Re: Train help please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Whitby