We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay Cliff Path

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay Cliff Path

I attempted this walk the other day when I was in the area. I got as far as the steps before the holiday park but couldn't get any further as I couldn't summon up the courage to negotiate them as they are very close to the edge with no rail to hold onto. The path up until then was very close to the edge some also got a bit worried I'd come across a section later on I couldnt negotiate. I don't like heights btw.

I walked back to Whitby and caught the bus to RHB.

Is the path like this all the way to RHB? I'm wondering if I should give it another go, since I'm planning to go back to York (where I stayed) sometime in the future.

I have done cliff walks before (by Dover in Kent) and I managed them ok.

Edited: 2:49 pm, May 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay Cliff Path

This is a difficult one to answer, as I am not really afraid of heights so managed the walk without much issues last time I did it. The cliffs are steep and the path quite close to them some of the way, but I didn't personally feel scared on the walk.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay Cliff Path

I agree with Riotstar. However, my wife doesn't like heights, and she managed all the the path (Seaburn to Bridlington) without problems.

It might be easier if there was someone to talk to as you walk?

Or look out to sea, and not at your feet?

The next stretch (from RHB to Ravenscar is mostly away from the sea on a disused railway track.)

3. Re: Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay Cliff Path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Whitby