We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

Perth
Level Contributor
286 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

I read the forum on the above topic for last year and based on the fact that a lot can happen in a year. As we are visiting Whitby in September for a week, I wondered what peoples views on what the top five fish and chip outlets (restaurants and take-aways) were. Based on current TA ratings, the top five are:

1. Magpie;

2. Mr Chips;

3. Trenchers;

4. Quayside; and

5. Royal Fisheries.

At the risk of over-doing a good thing, I will try and visit most of them and report back through this forum and reviews. In the meantime would appreciate any recent experiences.

Timperley,Cheshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

At the risk of re-igniting a debate from last summer, we haven't been to Whitby in some time but are going to visit next month for the first time in 6-7 years.

We used to go to Mr Chips most often as it was nearer to the other amenities we were visiting

We also used to go to Silver Street which was favourite for a number of our group but no mentions here along with the Quarterdeck

Being night owls, we always struggled to find somewhere for a bite to eat at closing time. There was a Kentucky type place at one time round the back of the Big Angel (I think) and I believe that Bitz and Pizzas is still going (it was for sale for the bulk of the time we used to visit) but we struggled other than that

Perth
Level Contributor
286 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

Mr Chips was our favourite from our trip last year (see reviews). Did not come across Silver Street, but The Quarterdeck is still there and there have been some recent TA reviews. More of a hotel restaurant, but one place we would have liked to try was The Marine - see reviews. Need to book, but they may be open later.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

Speaking as a local the best fish and chips in Whitby have got to be from Royal Fisheries (Fuscoes) in Baxtergate (behind Boyes store) you can eat in the restaurant or take them away. Been to all the rest and we really like Royal Fisheries for price and quality.

York
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

I've been to the Quayside several times over the years, and it used to be very good - large portions, delicious chips. Service has always been a bit hit and miss, but we've never had any real complaints. However, we went last year and it just wasn't as nice as previous years - the fish was a lot smaller and the chips were soggy. Hopefully, just an off-day.

I should also point out that, for fish and chips, the magpie is only a couple of quid dearer, and you do get an awful lot more and it is better quality. I actually think the Magpie is not that expensive - you're talking the best part of a tenner for most 'sit downs' in Whitby.

Trenchers I have only been to once, and was less than impressed, although on that occasion I had the fish pie rather than the fish and chips, so can't really compare.

Reading
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

Just returned from a weekend in Whitby and we had a meal in The Magpie and also Greens. My vote would definately be for The Magpie . The trio of pates were lovely and the scampi and haddock and chips were the best. Really good friendly service too

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

Good to hear about The Magpie, it does seem one of the best there

17. Re: Whitby Fish and Chips - Revisited Again?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, May 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations