We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Forum,

At long last, I have made it to the NYM for a few days! Am in a cottage between S-borough and Whitby. Am looking for recommendations for places to eat and drink in and around Whitby from 30 December until 2 January. I don't need anything fancy, just good food, drink and people to chat with for a locally reasonable price.

Frank

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Does the cottage you are staying at have an information pack or could you ask the owners. You havent said exactly where you are and you may be dependant on the weather to how far you can go . What mode of transport you have.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

I am not far from the A171, and the weather and roads are just fine. Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay and the A171 between Whitby and S-borough are all fair game and would be accessed by car.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Very jealous!

Pubs and eateries we've enjoyed in the area:

Robin Hood's Bay: Ye Olde Dolphin is a nice pub, great real ales and nice pub grub, too. Also a friendly atmosphere. The Bay Hotel does a great crab sandwich and home-made pie, can be a bit of a local-friendly place, but nice enough. The chip shop is also pretty good.

Whitby: For a pint of ale the Black Horse is a lovely old fashioned bar. For food the Magpie is my all-time favourite chippy (well, except John's on the Nottingham Road, but that's not that close to Whitby!!!) For a cuppa and cake try Sherlock's.

Another lovely local pub is the Runswick Bay Hotel, which does an excellent Black Sheep on tap!

Also a bit further afield is the Endeavour in Staithes, which isn't bad if you enjoy fish: http://www.endeavour-restaurant.co.uk/

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'm in Whitby just now. There was a long queue at the Magpie, so I impulsively went into the Shambles for a Theakston's selection and a late lunch. Atmosphere was nice. The ales were okay, and the food was just so-so. I think I've been spoiled by all of the microbrews at home. The food took almost an hour to come, and there was a lot of filler in the fish cakes and bison burger. I'm making it sound worse than it was, however. I just felt like I spent a good bit and left unimpressed. Staff were very nice and professional.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

That is a shame; we have previously wandered in to the Shambles and been put off by the sheer number of people in there (and we rarely travel in season, either!)

Sounds like they are thriving on the visitor trade and not caring too much about quality.

You can call and book for the Magpie, which I would recommend as then you can avoid the queue. It is well worth a visit.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

The Endeavour in Staithes hasn't been a fish restaurant or any kind of restaurant for a couple of years now.

Probably too late now but we like the Wheatsheaf at Egton.

http://www.wheatsheafegton.com/index.php

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

We've just come back from a week in Whitby - Mountereys on Grape Lane have great pizza and garlic bread on pizza base. Duke of York's food is pretty good - their fish & chips are excellent according to my partner. Station is best place for beer range - 8 on tap. Agree Black Horse is nice - Edeavour also has good beer - they had a couple from the Captain Cook brewery when we were there.

Have a great time - oh the Laurel in RHB is also a nice pub and has Adnams bitter which is unusual for the area

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Thanks to all for their suggestions and advice. My visit to Whitby was a good one. I also managed to visit Robin Hood's Bay, which had its own interesting places to visit, eat and drink. Spent New Year's Eve at a country Inn called the Falcon Inn. Prices weren't too bad by UK standards, food and drink were good, and the staff were friendly. Hope to visit again soon and try some of the recommended places that I couldn't get to this time.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

Sorry about the misinformation about The Endeavour in Staithes, it wasn't good enough for us to bother a return visit and not too surprised they have decided to go for B&B only as they didn't seem to enjoy the food side of the business much!!!

Sounds like you had a good visit.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs - Sights - Whitby - New Year

I agree about the Endeavour - we went once and didn't return. Shame really as you'd think a good fish restaurant would do a roaring trade there, despite the parking difficulties.

Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations