We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Hi all,

I've visited York before in which time I saw the city, and took the Hogwart's Express upto Pickering. I'm now thinking of returning to visit Scarborough, Whitby and RH Bay.

Would you guys suggest that Whitby is an ideal place for me to base myself at? I plan to stay at the lovely YHA!

Can I get public transport to Scarborough and RH Bay? Things to do there...?

I'm looking forward to just walknig around really... sort of like th eexperience I had in Cornwall 2 yrs ago. Can you guys give me a list of things I can do in this area?

Thanks,

Vikram

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Hi Vikram. Whitby YH is indeed a nice place to stay, so is Scarborough YH.

Re buses haven't time now but will check, but I do believe there is a bus every hour to Scarborough via RHB.

I do not know how far you like to walk, but the walk from Scarborough along the cliff tops to RHB and Whitby is well worth the effort. Also you can try the old railway line between the two. A much easier walk.

You can always catch the Coastliner bus #840 from stand #1 Whitby bus station. @ 11-06 to Goathland (11-36) mon to fri. You can then walk back or catch the bus back to Whitby, bus times from Goathland. 12-16, 14-16, 17-16, mon to fri.

link to the bus timetable is www.coastliner.co.uk

must dash,

ian480.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

It's one of the best walking areas in the country. The national trail, the Cleveland Way, goes along the cliffs and beaches from Saltburn to Scarborough, through Whitby and RHB.

And the famous Coast to Coast walk joins it for a few miles before it finishes at RHB.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/

Whitby has so much history - the Abbey, Dracula, Capt Cook.... and the geology and geography is fascinationg - a Jurassic coast, with fossils and archeology galore.

Smuggling, pubs, shipwrecks.. - yes, similar in some ways to Cornwall. Enjoy

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

I have looked on the Moors Bus Time table and see you can get an Arriva 5 or 93 which will take you from Scarborough to Whitby and it calls at RHB on the way.

4. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, August 23, 2010
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

You can also go fossil hunting at Sandends or/and Ravenscar. But please check on the tide times. NEVER go out on a incoming tide.

ian480.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

I love Tripadvisor forums! Thanks so much for your tips, really! :)

I'm coming to Europe for 10 days - 5 in the UK and 5 in Italy. so how does this sound?

Arrive London on Friday 21st May around noon, take a train to York and a bus to Whitby

Saturday 22nd May - around the area

Sunday 23rd May - around the area

Monday 24th May - AM, around the area and then back to London for an 8pm flight to Italy.

Sounds good?

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Also, the whole place doesn't shut down on Sundays, right?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Hi Vikram to save time why not take the train to whitby. Yes you will have to change trains but it will be a lot less hassle then the bus. But if you do want to use the bus, look up the time on the website I gave you.

Whitby will be very busy if it's a nice weekend.

Seeing you only have 2 days in the Whitby area you are going to have a very busy weekend to get the most out of your time. But do go to RHB, maybe get the bus there and walk back along the cliffs.

ian480.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Ian, thanks again sir!

Oh there's a train to Whitby? Then train it is! I'm all about saving time. Do you know how many hours it will take me overall from Heathrow? I'm thinking about 3 hours in total?

Yes - I want to visit both RHB and Scarborough. I don't tire or jetlag a lot (which is good), so maybe I can:

1. Arrive on Friday around 3pm'ish/4pm'ish and look around Whitby till sunset

2. Saturday - RHB and Scarborough - bus ride and/or hike

3. Sunday - <something else>

4. Monday AM - more of Whitby, and back to London in the night.

Sound good?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of spending 2-3 days in this area...

Hi Vikram, without looking into it, I would say you will be lucky to get to Whitby within 6 hours of landing at LHR, Yes trains up to York from London Kings Cross are quick. But its getting from LHR to Kings Cross. Not sure where you will get on the train for Whitby without looking into it. But the train to Whitby will not be a fast one I would say.

Maybe you'll have time for a pint and a meal in the pub overlooking the harbour.

Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations