We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

Which Settle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

I'm staying at Ribblesdale Park in March and was planning to do the Settle railway one day. I don't want to go all the way to Carlisle as I've been there a few times so am thinking about stopping off somewhere else for a wander and some lunch - any suggestions? I was thinking about Appleby, is there anywhere else you'd recommend?

Also, a really silly question but I'm a frequent train user - are you allowed to buy a ticket to a specific destination and do mutliple stop offs on the way at no additional cost?

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

<<Also, a really silly question but I'm a frequent train user - are you allowed to buy a ticket to a specific destination and do multiple stop offs on the way at no additional cost?>>

Depends on the ticket but if you buy an anytime ticket then yes, if you buy an offpeak ticket then yes with exceptions. If you buy an advance ticket then no.

Given the (in)frequency of the service then the opportunity for multiple stopoffs is limited.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

Do you like walking? You could always get off at Dent station, and walk to Dent village, reputedly the longest distance between a station and the community it is meant to serve. (about 4 miles).

Dent's a lovely village with a micro-brewery and a couple of good pubs.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

There is also (or was, current information on it is lacking) a day ranger ticket for unlimited travel on the Settle and Carlisle - probably only useful if you want to travel the full length of the line rather than a few stops locally

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

Dent village is not the furthest from its station. Llanbister Road is about 5 miles from the village of Llanbister.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

Thanks so much for your quick replies, that's really helpful

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
206 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

Check the Northern Rail website, I don't think there any advance tickets on the route, certainly not from West Yorkshire, they also have details on the day ranger tickets.

Appleby is the largest town, followed by Kirkby Stephen (note the station is out of the town)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route

Thank you

Reply to: Stop offs the Settle to Carlisle route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Settle
More Settle Topics