We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

London
11 posts
Save Topic
Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Would like to stay for 3 nights in North Yorkshire - somewhere quaint and close to Moors for short walks and scenery. Would also like to be closely located to railway so can visit Whitby on the coast. Any suggestions gratefully received.

London
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Meant to say we are happy to stay in Whitby itself (or just outside) but as we are not taking a car would like to be in walking distance of Whitby and/or Moors....thanks!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Hi,

I'm not an expert of the area, but being from the North East I would recommend either Pickering or Helmsley.

Pickering, I believe, is the start of the North Yorkshire Moors railway line which takes you to Whitby among other places. Apologies I don't know much else about Pickering.

http://www.nymr.co.uk

Helmsley, is a short drive or bus ride east of Pickering.

I believe Hemsley is the start of the Cleveland Way, and it's also close to Rievaulx Abbey which is lovely.

It's a lovely little market town, with a Castle, spa and an award winning hotel - The Feversham Arms. Have a look at it's special offers.

http://www.fevershamarmshotel.com

Hope this helps :o)

London
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Thank you kindly for your response. I have researched and think we will stay close to Pickering and venture up to Whitby via the NYMR for a day trip. I have found a very lovely cottage on a farm to stay in (thank you for your hotel suggestion however looking for something more rural and quaint).

Thanks again - much appreciated.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Helmsley is to the west of Pickering, sorry to confuse you.

No problem, hope you have a lovely stay (the cottage sounds lovely) :o)

Edited: 10:43 am, March 16, 2010
London
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Just out of interest....as am also keen to stay in Whitby. If we stayed there - are there many nice "moors" walks in the surrounding area (bearing in mind we do not plan to take a car, hence would like a base that covers everything!) So far, either going to stay in Pickering or Whitby!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

What about Pickering to Levisham - then getting the train back to Pickering? See website below:

http://www.dalesman.co.uk/walks/picktolev.htm

Maybe do your walking in Pickering (the moors area), and do your relaxing when you get the train for the day to Whitby. Mind, Whitby Abbey is a fair walk up the hill anyway, as are the 199 steps!

I think myself and my boyfriend intend on having a similar day out this summer, luckily we only live an hour away from Whitby.

Hope you find the info you're looking for :o)

London
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Wonderful thank you! I think a day trip to Whitby is our best option and we're hopefully going to stay in Stape, just a few miles outside of Pickering. The place we've chosen to stay has amazing reviews and they also know a lot of the good walks. Thanks again for that walk!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Just concerned, as you mentioned you will not be taking a car, how you will get to Stape and from there to Pickering.

Just incase you haven't already seen this website, this may have some ideas of where to stay for ease of being close to the NYMR, aswell as some more info on Pickering:

http://www.pickering.uk.net/index.php

I can't wait to go myself now! lol :o)

London
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

Thanks again. Disappointingly just been told by the place we wanted to stay that it's too far from the train station to get there!

Back to the drawing board - have decided to stay in Pickering now, would like something very quaint, near to the Moors (nice walks) with lovely breakfast included, and preferably a 4/5* place (was previously looking at Flamboroughrigg Cottage - so something along those lines please!)

10. Re: Best location/place to stay for North Yorkshire Moors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, August 23, 2010