We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

Lincoln
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel?

Hi my hubby will be working in Norwich in December and I will be going with him. He has a limit on price per night and I have got it down to three hotels and can't decide which one. Just wandered if anyone can give any advice please of which one to choose. Premier inn Norwich Nelson City centre, Holiday Inn on Ipswich Road or Best Western Annesley House Hotel, I've read reviews and they all seem ok. We will be staying for New Year's Eve and also I don't drive so will be left at the hotel when he's at work, obviously it would be better if I could walk into town from the hotel but I'd say comfort and quality etc is more important as I am very fussy lol. Also would prefer a hotel that's not noisy and not full of kids.

Thanks for any help

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

I think the Best Western would fit your requirements best. It is on Newmarket Road which is a ten minute walk into the heart of the city and has a decent reputation (UEA book rooms there sometimes). The Premier Inn is fine but busy and can be noisy, great location right by the train station though. Holiday Inn is well out of the city, just about walkable or a bus journey.

The Premier Inn on Duke Street would be more peaceful and is in a great city centre location.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

Thank you yes I quite like the sound of the Best Western although i do like modern and contemporary and it doesn't sound like that. Thinking a bit more about the Premier Inn one I'm not sure we'd like that as it's near the Prince Of Wales road with all the bars etc. Whilst we are in our late forties and do like the odd busy bar I think it may be a bit much for us lol.

How far is the Holiday Inn to walk into town for someone that is relatively fit please ?

The Premier Inn on Duke Street is sold out on the website that my hubby has to use with work unfortunately.

Would you say the Best Western is in a good safe nice area please? Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated. Is it an easy walk as in walking back from town after midnight on New Year's Eve ?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

Holiday Inn is barely walkable to be honest. I would do it with a few beers in me to save on a taxi but I'm tight like that!! It is only 10mins in a taxi, about 25-30mins walking I would say all the way up Ipswich Road which is one long road.

Best Western is definitely not modern or contemporary but is a nice older property. It is an easy and safe walk and would be on NYE, 5mins and you are at Chapelfield. Lots of nice pubs close, the Eagle, Unthank Arms, York Tavern and Rose Tavern all in the Golden Triangle which is away from the city centre. From Chapelfield you are 5mins from all the bars clubs and restaurants you could wish for in the centre.

Holiday Inn Norwic City would fit your modern requirements. Lovely hotel but out of the centre a bit.

Tend to agree on Premier Inn Nelson might just be too loud that time of year but it is a nice hotel with a great hotel bar onsite.

Fire away with any further questions.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

Brilliant, thanks for your help, more or less decided it will be the Best Western one providing they still have rooms by the time I speak to hubby lol.

Please could you recommend any restaurants or eating pubs in the Chapelfield area that are good and maybe a couple of pubs that arn't too tacky for nye as in we're not into karaoke, bingo and pubs like that lol, shall we say a bit classier where we could maybe get dressed up etc and it wouldn't be too rowdy, even one where they are maybe doing nye evening where you buy a ticket for a wine and dine and entertainment etc. Sorry I know I'm asking a lot lol but any questions you can answer I appreciate :)

Shell

Lincoln
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

mmm hang fire with the answers for my questions as I've just read the negative reviews on here about the hotel so still deciding and don't want to waste your time x

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

Isn't the Best Western rated #6 in Norwich?

Lincoln
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

Yes it is but when I've read some of the negative reviews it sounds like it depends which room you get, I'm now debating on maybe moving to another hotel for nye and nyd that maybe has some kind of package deal especially for nye because he will have finished work then, would deffo like some recommendations for good eating restaurant or pubs please which are within the centre so it doesn't matter where we stay. Also any tourist things for me not to miss. Thank you :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel?

Unfortunately, Norwich suffers somewhat from 'chain restaurant syndrome' pretty much any chain you get in any of the medium sized cities in the UK you can now find in Norwich (recent additions TGI's and Ed's Easy Diner) so I tend to find pubs offer some of the best options for food in Norwich. A couple of my favourites are the Wig & Pen (near the Cathedral) and the Coach & Horses (on Thorpe Road near the train station). Both are lovely pubs and the Coach has their own brewery, the Chalk Hill Brewery. The Wig & Pen is more suited to dining with a separate dining room out the back but the character of the pub itself is in the bar area, it really is very nice pub with good food. Also, the pubs mentioned already which are within a 5-7 minute walk of the Best Western (in the Golden Triangle) serve good food as well especially the Unthank Arms and one I haven't mentioned yet the Mad Moose. This area is mostly residential admittedly and is out of the city centre but this is one of my favourite areas for drinking and eating in Norwich.

In the city centre itself there is a new Smokehouse restaurant called the Dray on Exchange Street which is getting booked out pretty much every weekend. I would also take a look at the Ironhouse Brasserie which has improved signifcantly in recent times and is highly recommended and also the Last Wine Bar which iis a staple of the Norwich dining scene (although it has always been a bit up and down for me). I would consider booking early for any restaurants for the Christmas/New Year period.

For pubs, you will be spoilt for choice. As mentioned already the Wig & Pen is close to a number of decent pubs/bars on Magdalen Street (Take 5, Lawyer, Ribs of Beef, Glasshouse (which is the best of the Wetherspoons in Norwich)) and within a few minutes you have the 'trendier' bars of Queen Street (all chains again unfortunately, Revolution De Cuba/ Vodka Revolution/All Bar One) and the bright lights of Prince of Wales Road is just around the corner. Also, worth taking a look at St Benedicts where the Plough is a good option as well as the Ten Bells and Rumsey Wells, and a bit further up onto Dereham Road the Reindeer (not open on a Monday) is an excellent bar serving some interesting food.

In the main centre (i.e. the shopping area) pubs are a bit harder to come by but you have the excellent Murderers (AKA Gardners Arms) on Timberhill. I still like the Walnut Tree Shades which is an American themed restaurant with a lively (mostly) bar downstairs and the Lamb and Sir Garnet are close by also.

All pubs/bars are very busy over the Christmas/New year period and on NYE may have a ticket only policy.

Hope this helps!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel?

If you are OK with busses then Holiday Inn is easy, direct bus route to the city. Only problem is most bus routes finish early, so you might need a taxi tog et back. Call a minicab rather than getting in a black cab and it will be well under £10 to get home (but more on NYE/NYD).

As someone else said there are loads of chain restaurants and they are mostly rubbish but do your homework on the restaurant reviews and you will be fine. The Last Wine Bar and Bishops are really nice independent restaurants at the upper end of the scale, book in advance to secure a table. For pubs for a slightly older crowd check out The Tap House or The Murderers.

Have you considered the Premier Inn on Duke St? Its a much quieter location than the Nelson, fairly central and safe. Consider Fishergate Apartments too, they're a little bit further out but lovely apartments in a nice setting and still easy walking distance.

Edited: 5:24 am, November 15, 2013
Lincoln
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel?

Hi

Thank you for all your replies, brilliant and just what I wanted. Slight change of venue due to my husbands work, it now has to be the Holiday Inn on Ipswich Road or the Holiday Inn on Carrow Road, both seem to have good reviews on tripadvisor and if we don't fancy a pub crawl on nye one is holding a gala dinner and the other is right next door to one although I'm not sure if it is quite our scene, I'm more of a quiet classy wine bar girl lol.

Once again thank you so much for all the info it's looking like for both trips altogether we will be staying 10 nights in Norwich so we will be able to go to all your recommendations :) really looking forward to visiting Norwich.