We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

My daughter is coming to study at university from the USA for her study abroad semester. Besides being thrilled and excited, am trying to figure out a solution to get her an ATM card. appears the ones we have in the states will not work in the machines overseas. i also need to take into consideration all the costs of the fees involved. I think Capitol One does not charge additional fees but not sure if their card will work in the ATM. Are there other suggestions out there for study abroad students? can they open an account in a local bank in Norwich for the time they are there? (Jan1-June 1)

Any advice is deeply apprecitated!! Thank you in advacne for your help!

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
426 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

First of all, relax. American ATM cards work in ATMs in Europe just fine. The problems you are hearing about are for credit cards. In Europe, credit cards have a chip in them and the user enters a PIN when charging things. Except for some toll booths on highways and some gas stations, I have never had problems with my American charge card.

Except the time in Spain when my card wouldn't authorize and when I called my bank they said Spain was on their black list - even though I called before I left and the lady I talked to said Spain was ok! So check with your bank if your daughter takes advantage of the cheap air flights to see more than just Britain.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

Thank you! you're right, I am hearing that ATM's use a 'chip' as well but i guess our ATM cards work fine overseas. Thanks again

norfolk
Level Contributor
870 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

My nephew and girlfriend came over from Australia to work here for a year and I had to go with them to vouch for them before the bank would open an account, it may be easier for students as there would I assume, be some sort of support network available for them.

i hope your daughter enjoys her time here, Norwich is a lovely city and it's a great opportunity to experience Norfolk.

Regards,

Jean.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

Thank you! She is so looking forward to coming to Norwich! I appreciate your feedback. I think I am going to go with a Capitol One card and hope that will work. She does have an Aunt who lives in London that may be able to help her open an account in a local bank. Will have to check that out. Thanks again!

Edited: 7:39 am, November 10, 2012
norfolk
Level Contributor
870 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

Next time I go to the bank I will ask if Capitol One is accepted over here and will let you know.

More than happy to help on anything, I'm sure I wont know all the answers but I can try.

Jean.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

As long as the card is visa or MasterCard it will be fine. Amex is not widely accepted.

Go to your us bank and see about opening a uk account for your daughter. I know HSBC do this for you, that way all she will have to do is go to the agreed branch in the uk and present ID.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

Thank you Jean! I really appreciate your help. Sadly I am not coming over with her (not that she needs me to..) as I have to work but i do hope to visit in April! I know she'll work everything out just trying to part of the adventure :)

norfolk
Level Contributor
870 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

I am sure she will be fine, when I was young the opportunities were not there, but now the world is so accessible, but that doesn't stop a mum from worrying about them.

If you can get over to visit, April is a nice time to come, the weather should be warming up and plants are coming into growth.

Good advice from Lucy and setting up an account before she comes over could be an option.

Jean.

Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

Since September, my daughter has been studying abroad at UEA from US. We went with Bank of America and got both an ATM and a VISA credit card with the chip. She can use the ATM at all Barclays banks with no tranaction fees. The BoA VISa has no transaction fees on purchases either.

Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: best ATM card for student coming to study abroad

One bit of advice. It is good if you are listed on both her accounts as well in case the bank freezes her account because of questionable transactions. It's difficult for my daughter to contact the bank back in US, so i sometimes have to call and verify charges.