We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Norwich???

Which Norwich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Biggleswade, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in Norwich???

Im a student at UEA but there never seems to be anything good happening in Norwich! My sister goes to uni in Oxford and she always seems to be going to some festival or event of some kind! Does anyone know of any events or fun things to do during the week or at the weekend.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Have you tried the cinema, theatre, gigs, clubs, bowling, student union, sports park, the literary festival, student clubs (all interests catered for or form your own club)? My daughter is at UEA and never seems to be lacking in things to do.

There is lots out there just have a hunt around. Here is a link to the tourist office web-site which will give you an idea of what is on offer on your doorstep.

visitnorfolk.co.uk/norfolk/norfolk-norwich.a…

Gt Yarmouth England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Don't think you've been looking very hard - always loads on offer in the city.

Suggest you buy the Eastern Daily Press on a Friday as it contains a realy useful events guide.

Also try the Arts Centre on St Benedict s or the Playhouse.

Biggleswade, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

There's only so many times you can go bowling and the cinema! The theatre is closed and never seems to be anything good on there anyway! Ive done the clubs and gigs. Im looking for things to do during the day. I looked on the county counsil website and the only event they had was a dog show!!!! Fun!!

Im looking for places i can go...but not like the castle that costs a bomb to get into and there's hardly anything to see anyway!

What kind of things does your daughter do at weekends?

Thanks

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Can't say exactly but during the week she turns up at her lectures and seminars LOL. She also does her assignments and essays. Do you have any Uni work to do? She meets with her friends, sees BF, loves to shop, loves Gigs and every week is a different group - so OK you've done that once but the next week it is somebody different. I guess if none of that interests you maybe you are doomed. Are you in halls or a house? Have you not been able to make any friends? What are your interests?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

I was at UEA more than thirty years ago and there was always plenty to do then, and from what I've heard Norwich is a more fun place now than it was then. Have you not joined any of the University's host of clubs and societies? Not only is there something for everyone, but it's also a great way of making friends, regardless of the nature of the society.

If you go further afield, both Norfolk and Suffolk have a plethora of interesting places to visit.

ENgland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Hi Simone 87 - if you're after some special events then you want to try the football club at norwich. i went to one of their comedy nights and it was brilliant . they also have a lot of events where delia smith goes!!

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Just don't eat the food..............

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Let's be 'avin' ya...........

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

Having lived in Norwich and now in being Oxford, I think you've got the much better deal over your sister. I guess if she's at uni here she'll be doing all sorts of crazy college related stuff. the night clubs here don't rival Norwich's, although neither is great in that department. Norwich seemed more of a great pub place than a club place. I must admit my main activity in Norwich was supping ale in the fat cat and the odd trip to the seaside on a sunny day.

Have you been upstairs in the union and seen if there's any clubs that take your fancy, you could pop along in freshers week when they're desperate to have people and see if they seem like a nice bunch, you can go along to a meeting and decide if they're worth joining. The kayak club, surfing, walking or something will be good ways of getting out and about and seeing some of Norfolk on the cheap(ish).

There's a what's on guide here:

edp24.co.uk/Content/WhatsOn/WhatsOnHome.asp

http://www.norwich-events.co.uk/

Good Luck!

Norfolk, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Norwich???

How long have you been in Norwich? There is so much going on I can't believe you haven't already found it. There are arts events happening all over and loads of good music etc. Pick up the EDP on a Friday, which has the Event guide in it.

In terms of venues and theatres you've got loads including the new Cinema City, new Theatre Royal, Playhouse, Maddermarket, King of Hearts, Assembly Hall, Waterfront, UEA and Puppet Theatre (mainly adult stuff).

There are heaps of art galleries and exhibition spaces, including the world renowned Sainsbury Art's Centre at the UEA.

There are now two very good festivals, with the Norfolk and Norwich Festival being described as the next best thing to Edinburgh.

Have a look at http://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/ which gives you good information on the city, or call into the Forum and get information from the Information Centre there - the office with the big i sign.

You can't be bored in Norwich, you just need to look at what's on.