We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
214 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

Hi, my husband and I are arriving at Gatwick airport on the morning of July 8th. We need to get to Norwich and would like some advice.

I think our best bet is the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station and then a Victoria Station Coach to Norwich. The coach seems to take approximately 3 hours and I know the Gatwick Express is about 30 minutes.

Would there happen to be anything else quicker or more convenient? We will have been travelling for approximately 18 hours before we arrive at Gatwick.

What would the average cost be for hiring a driver? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

There is another option, if you don't want to take the coach.

From LGW, take a First Capital Connect train to either Blackfriars or City Thameslink station, then taxi from there to Liverpool Street station. From there, oneRailway runs fairly frequent trains to Norwich.

FCC fares are about a third less than the fares on the GEX, and the trains to Norwich shouldn't be too busy on a Sunday. However - it's the day after the LiveEarth concert and the start of the Tour de France, and there may be a fair number of people heading out of London - hm.

Also, Sundays are often the days for track maintenance and repairs, so you may find a somewhat reduced service. Check at www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares, or go directly to www.onerailway.com for more info.

You won't need to book a ticket from LGW to London in advance, as the walk up fare is about £9, and won't change on the weekend. You should book from Liverpool Street to Norwich in advance though.

If you'd rather book a car and driver, then have a look at www.london-transfers.com or www.simplyairports.com.

Are you going from The Peg to London directly or from elsewhere? 18 hours is a looonnngg schlep!

Norwich, England UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

How about one of the companies that will pick you up and drive you to Norwich? Prices are around £130 but a much nicer way to travel and time wise around 2 - 2 1/2 hours - bear in mind this is door to door too. Check out www.yell.com and put in airport travel, Norwich for a quite a few companies.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
642 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

You could always try to book a ntaional express coach. I'd expect there would be one between Gatwick and Norwich. Check www.nationalexpress.com for times and fares. You have to book in advance to guarantee a seat on the coach, but at least you'll know that you've got something organised.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

You could try these.

http://www.norwichtolondonairports.co.uk/

www.airports-anytime.co.uk/norwich.html

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

I would let the train take the strain............Liverpool St to Norwich is around 2 hours..............

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

Rex-Diver the OP says that they are arriving on a Sunday. The line to Norwich is notorious for engineering works on a Sunday, traveller-plus mentioned it. If you take the train check this first otherwise it can be a very painful, stressful journey.

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

Thanks everyone for your input. It is much appreciated. I've enquired with a few drivers and the price is around 235 pounds from Gatwick to Norwich. That to me is a ridiculous price.

I do think we will be taking the bus and hopefully won't hit any delays. It seems to be the quickest and fastest, especially after such a long journey. Unfortunately, we have a 6 hour lay-over in Toronto. We leave our home at 7am to get to the Winnipeg airport and arrive at Gatwick the next day at 7 am. Hopefully we will be able to arrive in Norwich by the early afternoon. Then the holiday can really begin.

Again thanks for all the input.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

Why don't you consider travelling from Canada to Amsterdam instead of Gatwick, then get a connecting flight straight into Norwich..........

Don't know how much it will add to your costs but you should investigate the possibility..........

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

Hi dakbail

Just a warning, Gatwick is my most hated airport (although I forever end up using it thanks to cheap flights). On several occasions, and always on a Sunday , we have had to wait anything between 1 and 2 hours to pick up our luggage, that's with supposed "priority" lugggage labels on a couple of occasions. You would need to factor that in if booking a coach, as on a Sunday, alternatives will be limited if you miss it.

I would also say, that having flown from Vancouver, twice in the last couple of years, needing to get home to Norfolk, beyond Norwich, there is no way, I would drag myself into London for a coach or train. A direct coach, I could consider, but each time , we had a prebooked local company, to drive us, as both of us where too tired to drive ourselves! The cost was worth it, to arrive quickly and safely, they also, "happily" waited for us, whilst we waited for our luggage.I wouldn't use that company again though, because their cars had no A/C, unconfortable on a very hot day. The price you were quoted seems way too high. Last year we paid £ 225 for trips to and from Gatwick, so for one trip, with inflation, maybe £120 would be reasonable??

The advice re the trains and works on a Sunday is very good. On a forthcoming weekend, because of track maintenance, you would need to get 2 trains and 2 coaches to get to London!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at Gatwick airport on July 8th

Sorry, me again, my comment at the end about trains and maintenance, was for a journey between Norwich and London. 2 trains, 2 coaches would excessive for Gatwick/London even for our shambolic rail system!