We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

Does anyone have ideas for things to do in London on Christmas Day and Boxing Day? From our experience two years ago we found that everything shuts down on these days. Also, any recommendations for Christmas dinner (not too expensive!)? Thanks.

1. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:36 pm, August 09, 2005
London, UK
Level Contributor
313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

A fun thing we used to do on Christmas morning is watch the annual swimming race at the Serpentine in Hyde Park. Members of the swimming club compete for a trophy in memory of JM Barrie, Peter Pan creator. If it's cold enough, they have to break the ice on the pond first before jumping in! (Though I've never been lucky enough to see that!) It starts around 9am, as far as I remember...

If sports interest you, there is a good program of events on Boxing day. You might think this is a mad suggestion but I've been greyhound racing on Boxing day, and it was great fun and inexpensive if you don't go mad with your bets! And you get to see real Londoners doing their thing. Wimbledon stadium in south-west london is a good venue.

Chinatown is open as usual on Christmas day and Boxing day and it's pleasant to wander round for an hour or so, nibbling pork buns...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

xmas day everything wil be shut except for places serving dinner etc and as someone said it will be expensive.

The past few years have shown the shops start sales and everything more or less seems to be opening.

I guess the only things to do are to enjoy the freedom of the city whilst it is quieter and enjoy the parks the river etc etc.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

You will also have to book early for dinner on either of these days. You need to start phoning about August to see when they start taking bookings and must have booked by October.

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I seem to remember that the tubes do not run on Christmas Day, and maybe even Boxing Day too - could that be? Christmas Eve we went to the carol service at Westminster Abbey, which was wonderful. We ate in our hotel on Christmas Day and were the only ones in the dining room for dinner. They didn't even serve Christmas fare - don't want to do that again!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

You're right - no Tube or bus on Christmas, and limited service for both on Boxing Day.

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

This is an off question but whats the weather over there at that time? I have 2 pouting that they missed this years trip so I was thinking of Xmas maybe. Do hotels book up early, offer specials?

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

The weather was pretty mild (by Chicago standards!), and comfortable enough with winter jacket, gloves, etc., plus brolly! Never stopped us doing anything. Can't answer your question about hotels though. Was lucky enough to get a freebie through a hotel awards program.

nyc
Level Contributor
474 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

Our family did Christmas in London this past year. We made it a Dickens day with a walking tour in the morning followed by a reading of a Christmas Carol at the Dickens museum. Cabs were difficult but not impossible to catch. Compared to NYC it was postively balmy (40s).

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Day and Boxing Day in London

Some hotels really push the boat out at Christmas, & people book in droves to enjoy the full Christmas feast & entertainments. If that's what you are into, then pay the premium for a 3 day stay & enjoy, Taxis for Christmas Day are ordered several days in advance & expect to pay a bit extra - the hotel will facilitate this.

I'm not sure which London hotels do this - the London tourist board may help.

Some small local restaurants will open for Christmas Day - probably French & Indian, as they do not have the attachment to CD. You'll need to scoot around the neighbourhood to find one that intends to open & book. Nearer the time, you could quiz some of the on-line London eating web sites for CD openers.