We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-smoking pubs?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
386 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Non-smoking pubs?

I am hoping Pub-7, AdamHornets and some of you other experts can give me some suggestions for London pubs that are non-smoking, or at least less smoky?

My husband and I are serious London pub-haunters, but middle age has taken its toll and brought with it mild asthma (him) and lots of allergies (me). We just can't tolerate tobacco smoke any more (though being from North Carolina, we'll rigorously defend your right to smoke it!) We hate having to act so prissy and picky, but it really makes us ill. And I really don't want to start traveling to Ireland instead. :-( I don't suppose there is any such thing as a non-smoking pub in London? If there is, I've certainly never discovered it . . .

Thanks much!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,355 Reviews
from $131.50*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from $140.20*
$155.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from $118.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from $350.20*
London
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Non-smoking pubs?

Another site that lets you search for non-smoking pubs and restaurants (very few come up in London, but there are some) ...

www.freshaironline.info/index_search.html

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Non-smoking pubs?

The other site is better, though -

www.breathe-out.co.uk/Pubsengland.htm#london

It shows 5 pubs or bars in Central London that are entirely non-smoking (I didn't include Enfield in the 5!). I am sure there are other individual places that are non-smoking too. Unfortunately, none of these are in Knightsbridge, where you are staying.

And here's another site I found -

http://www.smokefreeworld.com/london.shtml

Traditionally, a lot of people in England smoke when drinking. I like drinking, but don't smoke. Since I went to the States last year, I really notice the smoky atmosphere in London pubs, and I don't like it. Even pubs like Wetherspoons, which have non-smoking areas, don't really solve the problem, because you can't really get away from the smoke. And it's in the air when you go to the bar, or to the toilet.

The Blackfriar is a nice pub, and should be fairly easy to get to. From Knightsbridge, head for Sloane Square or South Kensington tubes, then catch the Circle or District Line tube to Blackfriars. Door to door travel time is about 30 minutes.

Or try somewhere else (it's probably best to ring first to check they really ARE non-smoking).

You're in better luck when it comes to eating. Quite a lot of restaurants are non-smoking now, and all Pret a Manger sandwich cafes are.

Mentioned in this post
Enfield
Enfield
Greater London, UK
Knightsbridge
Knightsbridge
225 Reviews
London, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Sloane Square
Sloane Square
112 Reviews
London, UK
South Kensington
South Kensington
298 Reviews
London, UK
Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Non-smoking pubs?

I certainly am more likley to go out to pubs/bars if there is a no smoking, and will search out some in London based on the links and info in other posts here. I used to go out about once a month to local pubs (here in Regina) before the smoking ban, but over the past year (since the ban has been in place) my friend and I go out for drinks or a meal about twice a week. It really is so much more pleasant and I know that the pubs we frequent are doing a booming business. Mind you, we all now drink more than we used to...

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK