We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nottingham to London

Nottingham, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Nottingham to London

Hello,

I am planning a day trip to London as I have never been to the capital in over 30 years, I am not a great traveller but am a worrier, so any help will be appreciated, particularly in an "idiots guide" given my apprehension.

Travelling down by car to London with wife and two children, both over 15 years of age.

I have heard there is all day parking somewhere near Junction 4 of the M1, which is around £5 and then one can catch the tube into london, for a £10 all day ticket, I want to visits sights like the London eye and the history museum. I understand the tube has zones of travel but I want a ticket that will cover my journey from the M1 into London and all parts of inner London.

Look forward to any help and advice, many thanks, Kazmi

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,098 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nottingham to London

Would you consider going by train all the way?

If this is for a weekend you can get four adult* super off-peak travelcards for a total of £272. This gives you a same-day return Nottingham to London St Pancras International, as well as unlimited bus and underground travel around London. These tickets are valid at any time on weekends, and you do not even need to buy them in advance.

* young people age 16+ are classed as adults.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nottingham to London

There are a few places to park coming from the north - watford junction, harrow town centre (fast links) or hillingdon come to mind.

As to cost it'll depend where you park as to the cost to get into central london. Do you have a contactless credit/debit card each?

Nottingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nottingham to London

Have a contactless debit and credit card, I just want to do a day trip first, to build up some confidence before I do a longer trip

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nottingham to London

Also consider seeing what parking is like at Westfield White City.

Its outside the Congestion Zone - and although spaces aren't guaranteed, at least people will be departing. Unlike at some train station where they'll be gone for the entire day.

https:/…getting-here

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,067 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nottingham to London

I think you are thinking of Stanmore tube station. Maybe ten minutes from junction 4 of the M1. It can get full fairly early in the day during the week but at this time of year it won't be so bad.

From there the Jubilee line will get you into central tourist London in about 30 minutes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nottingham to London

I've parked at Stanmore before and it's doable.

I'm local-ish to Nottingham and the direct train from there to London is pretty slow. What about driving to Grantham (there's free on-street and a cheap car parking) and then getting the fast train down from there?

If you know which trains you want to catch and book in advance, Virgin fairs aren't *too* expensive

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nottingham to London

Advance train tickets will be cheaper (specific times) straight to st pancras. Pick up visitor oyster cards or full ones if you intend to return in the future, these will cover your bus and tube tickets for the zones you want.

8. Re: Nottingham to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 14, 2017