We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilburn park - what's the area like?

Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kilburn park - what's the area like?

hi all,

I'm thinking of renting one of the 'So Apartments' on Kilburn High road.

Is it safe/central? Any nice restaurants or pubs worth a look?

thanks.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

Hi there

Haven't been to Kilburn in a while but it is a pretty safe residential suburb about 20 minutes from central London by tube. There used to be a few good music pubs there but not sure if they are still around.

Kilburn historically, was a very large Irish population from the early part of last century. Understand it is more Polish nowadays.

London
Level Contributor
295 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

It's still got quite a strong Irish presence, including some good Irish pubs (that is, not tourist rubbish, but proper pubs). The Black Lion on Kilburn High Road is highly recommended. There's also McGoverns on Cricklewood Broadway. I'm not an expert on food in Kilburn, but there should be some goodish eating, and there is a very good restaurant in a pub called the Salusbury on Salusbury Road in Queen's Park, which is about 10 minutes from Kilburn High Road.

As far as safety goes, it's fine rather than perfect, but basically a solid residential area, on the up. The High Road, which is busy during the day, is not most people's idea of charming, but has good high street shops for daily necessities (e.g. M & S), and the Bakerloo line will get you to Paddington in under 10 minutes, with Oxford Circus about another 10 mins away. There are also good buses.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

I can also recommend the North London tavern, relaxed and tasty gastro pub, and also Powers Bar( The Coal Pits) for something a little more quirky.I also believe there is a good Burmese Restaurant in the area

I lived there a while ago and I always found the bus( think it is the 16) down to Oxford Street handy and quicker than the tube.

If you read ( or have read) 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith some of the more unusual characters she writes about seem to be based on people you used to see around Kilburn. The area still has 'colour'

Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

Thanks for that info. It sounds like it would be fine for what I require.

thanks again! Must post and ask about the apartments now!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

"Is it central?"

If you mean for Westminster & tourist sites IMO no, but if your happy to commute I expect it's much cheaper than a 'central' alternative.

Stoofer

Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

I'm not looking for totally centrel. Well, what I mean is, I will be attending a show at the Royal Albert Hall, which I think isn't too far away from Kilburn on the tube? And I will probably be visiting Camden also. I'm not too worried about spending a half hour or so on the tube to get to places.

As it is only a few stops from Paddington, am I right in thinking that most of the tube lines are easy enough to get on to with 1 or 2 changes max?

thanks.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

Yes, as long as your happy with that you'll be fine.

Depending on destination don't rule out the bus, often more convenient than tube and you get a scenic view upstairs:-)

Stoofer

8. Re: Kilburn park - what's the area like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 20, 2009