We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What trip insurance company do you use?

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
What trip insurance company do you use?

Planning a trip back next year (yawn), but wonder what or whom you all use as your trip insurance company. Having never travelled abroad before last year (the ins. was covered in the package), just wondering what everyone else does.

Thank you for your help!!

Jane

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What trip insurance company do you use?

I don't buy trip insurance at all. My company medical insurance covers me anywhere in the world and, a number of years ago when I looked at all the plans that were available, they didn't cover pre-existing conditions and you practically had to be on your death bed to claim. I figure that if I'm on the way out, I don't care if my heirs inherit less money! The other thing I found when looking at the packages is that I couldn't buy just cancellation insurance - I had to include medical, which I don't need. So, to sum up, I never buy it. Take a look at one of my previous postings about IAMAT. If you put that in the search function, it should come up with the relevant post.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What trip insurance company do you use?

Normally, I don't use insurance....but in the past two years I decided to use it twice -- primarily because:

-- I had pre-booked and locked in some high cost travel arrangements, and

-- in one case I was going to a relatively remote part of the world, rural China

-- I was still jittery and didn't want to travel anywhere that had recently experienced terrorism.

I found a website (below) that was helpful in making comparisons and deciding which way to go. I THINK that most of the main companies are represented on it:

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

IMHO, you'll want to check out what the terrorism clause states -- some companies will include it "free" if and only if you insure the entire value of your trip.

Also, if you are going to a remote part of the world and really want to have dependable "emergency medicial evacuation" coverage, I believe in most cases you need go with the upgrade to get it. It is, apparently, more outrageously expensive than you one might imagine.

Finally, I recommend doing a test or two before you commit (ie calling their "emergency" number and seeing how the service is..make sure it's what you can deal with etc.).

Thank god I never had to use it. It provided peace of mind on more than one occasion, but buying insurance is not something I would want to get addicted to.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What trip insurance company do you use?

I want to clarify that the "terrorism coverage" I mention simply allowed me to cancel my trip in the event there was a terrorist attack at one of my destinations 30 days before departure etc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What trip insurance company do you use?

Trip insurance consists of several parts, generally sold as a package.

trip cancelation

trip interuption

medical treatment

medical evacuation

If your trip is largely prepaid, like most cruises, then trip cancellation insurance is a good idea. If the possiblity of having to come home halfway through your trip is a consideration, (sick relative at home who could get worse...) trip cancellation is a good idea. If your current medical insurance doesn't cover overseas medical treatment, medical coverage is a good idea.

If these situations don't apply to you, you probably don't need insurance.

Medical evacuation is a consideration for me as I'm getting a little older. (still have lots of travelling left in me though)

There is one company that handles just medical evacution. You buy a yearly policy, and they will bring you home from anywhere in the world (including the U.S.!) during any travel that year. It's $325/year for a family, $200/year for an individual.

https://www.medjetassistance.com

insuremytrip.com is the best place to shop for trip insurance.

london
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What trip insurance company do you use?

I use Genworth, we buy an annual worldwide cover. I don't worry as much about medical cover, more about theft - what if all your luggage is lost? What if your camera is stolen? That can run into hundreds of pounds to replace.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What trip insurance company do you use?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I THINK I would be more interested in trip cancellation insurance - but will check out insuremytrip.com.

Thanks again.

Jane