We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A specific question for Travelingmother

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Topic
A specific question for Travelingmother

I had read you post on March 18,2005 and noticed that you have been to the Holborn Tube station. I would like ro ask some questions. I will be travelling from Heathrow to central london and get off at Holborn with a piece lof luggage and one carry on. I do no know about the stair situation on the Holborn station. Is is possible to carry the luggage up the stairs?How many sets of stair would I go through before I reach the street level?If I carry the luggage on the tube, would it be too much inconvenient to other passangers? Please help me with some information and suggestion. Thank you.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from $126.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from $105.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from $149.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from $300.40*
$333.80
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

hi maybe I can help. The piccadilly line tends to run fairly deep through london and from trying to recall I am sure you have a long set of escaltors at holburn and then a set of stairs. Typically you have a smallish flight of stairs from platform to escalator then up that then another maybe of stairs. It is years since I have travelled and got off there.

the stations with massive long winding staircases all have big lifts...cant recall if that is one of them.

The train may well be busy so sit near the doors, there is somewhere (just a space not a luggage shelf) for luggage. Most londoners are used to people with bags and maybe just tut at let them get on with it.

best this is to get off the train as quick as you can, then just wait on the side of the platform for the crowd to go then get up the stairs etc before the next train comes, it is what we do when we have all the kids and a buggy etc.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

Although you should always try to be considerate, it doesn't matter if your use of the Piccadilly line with luggage inconveniences others. London Transport spent many hundreds of million pounds extending the tube to Heathrow Airport in 1977 so passengers could use it, and even built special carriages with extra luggage space. So, they want you to use it, and 8 million air passengers a year do use it.

My recollection of Holborn is long escalators and some short stairs.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

High Holborn is not called that for nothing. It means the underground is a long way below street level.

Holborn has a set of stairs from the platform to a long escalator. A short walk to another longer escalator. Getting from the first escalator to the second will be the worst part as people will be going in all directions changing from the 2 lines there.

Don't forget to stand on the right on the escalators and try to keep your cases directly in front of you. The left hand side is for people who wish to walk up (or down) although you have to be fairly fit to walk up these escalators.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,877 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

Mr C is right, the escalators at Holborn are quite long. It's a very busy station, with lots of Piccadilly and Central line traffic, but if you wait til most of the hordes have teemed past, you might get a quiet moment to get from point to point. The way out area is quite small for such a busy station, and you'll have your choice of heading toward Kingsway or High Holborn, so choose your exit carefully. You'll be fine.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
355 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

I can help you. We just did exactly this thing last week.:) Holborn is a great stop if you have luggage. There is just one set of stairs. (my husband says there are 21 steps) The rest is all flat walking and escalators. The trains have places just for luggage, especially the cars more in the middle of the train. There were plenty of people and luggage using the Tube the week we were there.

When my husband and I arrived we took Hotelink just to see how it would work. When my daughter and boyfriend arrived two days later we did the Tube and helped them with their luggage. When we left all four of us took the Tube and managed the luggage just fine. It is really very easy, and takes less than an hour.

The part at Heathrow is easy too. When you arrive you go down a large ramp, lots of flat halls and moving walkways. Then there are escalators.

Warning! If for some reason you need to go to Terminal 4 at Heathrow that will be more of an adventure. That Tube stop is having work done on it, so you get have to get off the Tube and take some sort of bus/shuttle to get to Terminal 4. In that event, it might be easier to do some sort of transport like Hotelink.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Having just returned that area is still in a part of my memory I can actually retrieve.:)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
355 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

I can help you. We just did exactly this thing last week.:) Holborn is a great stop if you have luggage. There is just one set of stairs. (my husband says there are 21 steps) The rest is all flat walking and escalators. The trains have places just for luggage, especially the cars more in the middle of the train. There were plenty of people and luggage using the Tube the week we were there.

When my husband and I arrived we took Hotelink just to see how it would work. When my daughter and boyfriend arrived two days later we did the Tube and helped them with their luggage. When we left all four of us took the Tube and managed the luggage just fine. It is really very easy, and takes less than an hour.

The part at Heathrow is easy too. When you arrive you go down a large ramp, lots of flat halls and moving walkways. Then there are escalators.

Warning! If for some reason you need to go to Terminal 4 at Heathrow that will be more of an adventure. That Tube stop is having work done on it, so you get have to get off the Tube and take some sort of bus/shuttle to get to Terminal 4. In that event, it might be easier to do some sort of transport like Hotelink.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Having just returned that area is still in a part of my memory I can actually retrieve.:)

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. You help is very much appreicated and useful.Talking about the exit by Travellerplus,if I go to the Grange Holbon Hotel, which exit should I choose?I do not want to carry my luggage and go the wrong way and get lost.Does any one know about the "exit" question?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,877 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

If you exit toward High Holborn, cross the road, and stay on the right side. What's Kingsway to the south of High Holborn is Southampton Row to the north of it - your hotel is about 75m along, at Theobald's Road. Have a look east along the latter street for the well-received Fryer's Delight, for yummy fish and chips.

Have a fab holiday.

canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

Thank you travellingmother for your detailed information and encouragement. Travelling with luggage and struglling to go upstairs need a lot of strength,both physcially and psychologically.Your experience seems to be so positive and managable. I am going to try the tube and see how it works. Thank you very very very much.

Thank you TravellerPlus for your fast reply and direction. It really helps alot to know where you are going on the right way.All of you are terrfic and wonderful helpers to others. May what you have done to others be also a blessing to yourself in returen. Thank you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
355 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A specific question for Travelingmother

Here is another reassuring thing I noticed. While the Holborn Station was always swarming with people, when someone really needed help it was always offered. During our many days in and out of that station (our hotel was close by) I saw people help mothers with little ones, assist people struggling with luggage, etc. Never once did I witness anyone trying to take advantage (like a pickpocket). One day there was this poor Mom with a stroller and a toddler OUT of the stroller. He was crying and too scared to get on the escalator. One young man took his hand and helped him and another helped Mom get the stroller on the escalator. I was very impressed with the basic kindness of people. Especially since all the posts about thieves had me kind of paranoid.:)