We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay away from in London?

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to stay away from in London?

As in any country or town, there are places that the locals suggest tourists stay away from. Are there any towns/areas in London that we should avoid, especially at night?

Thanks!

Strawberry Tours - Free Walking Tours London
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

As long as you stay in either the West End or the City you'll be fine. London is a very safe city, we don't carry guns (well, the vast majority) but there are the inevitable sink estates outside the City boundaries that you would do well to avoid.

As a rule, I am careful at night venturing south of the River Thames but then I've been mugged near Smithfield Market in the City (north of the river) so there goes that theory.

Seriously, London is one of the safest cities in the world, you shouldn't have a problem at all

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

The main parts of the city are pretty safe and you just need to take the usual precautions you would take when out and about in any big city.

If at any point you feel concerned, which is unlikely, then just go with those instincts and move along. In all my many visits to London I have never felt intimidated, but I have always been sensible.

Now go and enjoy it :-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

If you find yourself around Tower Bridge as night falls, I would avoid going south over this bridge on foot. The area seems to have a bit of a youth gang culture. There is not much of a reason to venture that way in any case.

As previous posts, don't let that put you off going to the bridge or any central area in the city or Westminster.

Have a great time.

Stoofer

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

LoveTT, this question was raised a few weeks back, read all here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k87799…

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

You are just as safe South of the river as you are anywhere in London, in fact you're probably safer there than in some supposed 'safe' tourist areas where you don't find career criminals ripping off tourists.

Seriously, this myth about south of the river being more unsafe than other areas should really stop now, it's not only untrue but quite insulting to a huge amount of people who actually live in London.

Lovetotravel82, if you take the same precautions as you would visiting any large city you should be fine and the likelihood of accidently straying into a bad area is minimal. Even if you did London doesn't have any real 'no-go' areas and even if an area looks rough it doesn't mean it's dangerous. At night just stay on well lit busy streets and don't be tempted to take short cuts.

Have a great time and enjoy yourself. :)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

Trillian

As far as my post is concerned, nothing insulting at all, a question was asked and an answer given instead of the defensive 'oh no London is SO safe' answer that does not help the enquirer.

Generalising is unhelpful to this enquiry IMO :-)

I don't cite south as worse than north particularly, ( though in fact it's easier to find more deprived areas that often have their own problems) London as a whole like anywhere else has it's problem areas. It's nothing to do with south/north prejudice.

Tooly St and the area within 200yds of Tower Bridge is known to the police as a risky area to walk at night. There is a youth gang culture, it is known by the police. I blindly walked into it one night ( I was very unlucky granted ) and I was challenged by a gang and then mugged. At the hospital I met other victims. The police reaction suggested it was not an uncommon occurance, that's why I noted it. To ignore the fact when asked a question here would be wrong.

There are many such areas in London where extra vigilance should be shown, but most are well away from 'tourist' areas. Tooley Street is relatively close by.

Personally I'd prefere to hear such reports and then form my own opinion of where is 'safe', I'm assuming LoveTT posted this thread for the same reason.

Stoofer.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,857 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

-south of the river which includes Greenwich by the way is a big area. So ignore comments like this (I live in North London btw. The sort of places you'll visit as a tourist won't present any problems. London doesn't really have no go areas although as with any large city there are rougher areas. London is very big and spread out so your chances of hitting these are minimal. As others have said just be sensible, your main concern is to avoid pickpockets - keep bags close/zipped up and fon't leave unattended and you'll be fine. Mainly don't worry but I think once you're here that will vanish.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

Parklandwalk

So are my comments regarding strolling south once you cross Tower Bridge at night to be ignored? Or tourists won't walk that way?

The OP clearly understands the reality of city life and would like some further info, hense the thread. Maybe they want to see a little outside the regular tourist sights. Crime facts & problem areas don't take anything away from London being safe in general or being a great place to visit, so why deny the info.?

When I travel I often go 'off the 'beaten path', a bit of local knowledge

can help us all avoid making errors of judgement :-)

Stoofer

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

Stoofer, sorry to hear about your bad experience. These sort of incidents always stay with you and make you more aware of the bad possibilities. Thankfully most tourists won't go through that sort of thing, though it always pays to be alert, but definitely not afraid.

Lovetotravel will hopefully have a blast!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to stay away from in London?

Hi Purple.

The point of my post was that this area is just 200yds from the 'tourist route'. Not just my experience and bad luck, it is a problem known to the police. I'd be afraid to go there on foot at night, I believe this is the sort of information the OP requested.

I'm sure we all agree London is safe in general, however that was not the question:-)

Stoofer