We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace

Sacramento,Ca.
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace

I will have one extra day in London in June and I'm anxious to see Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace. I understand there is a train that goes between the two and takes about an hour of travel time.

Is it reasonable to try and see both? Not all of them, of course, as I believe they are very large. But could one at least get a reasonable overview? Is there a tram tour, etc. at either one or is it all on foot? What is the least amount of time that should be allowed at each one?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace

hi, there is no direct train. You would have to go back into london and out again or you can get the number 65 bus from kew/richmond to kingston and then get the 111 bus or there is another one to the palace.

Milage wise they arent that far apart from one another, in a car it would take maybe 15 minutes on a good day.

There is no tram tour of the palace as it is a massive palace/building and you have to walk around it. It has nice grounds, is by the river and has a maze.

I guess you could do both in one day especially as they are in the same part of south west london and not far from each other. I guess you can just do the palace and miss the grounds/maze at hampton etc.

I dont know if there is a tram tour of kew to be honest there never used to be but I havent been for years.

When I have been to kew I have been there all day but that was mainly on school trips etc. When my kids have been to hampton court they have been there from say 10-2 and seen quite a good bit.

Richmond itself is lovely especially by the river and has lots of nice places to eat, hampton is nice too and has some nice places to eat and some little crafty/gift shops over the road.

You may be able to get a boat up the river from richmond to hampton but maybe only in summer but I am really not sure about this!!

Richmond has a lovely natural park with deer running around etc and is lovely for walks and from some higher parts of it you can see right across london...lovely views and very relaxing!

If you go to richmond hill as well you see amazing views down the river and across london too...one of my favourite places!!

if you go to hampton court come say hi!! I live real close by!

enjoy!!

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace

Don't miss Hampton where you get both gardens and palace in exquisite, concentrated form that is easy to take in as little or much as you want. I was disappointed with sprawling Kew, with farflung areas of only medium interest. The greenhouse areas can be too crowded to enjoy, and the closeness to Heathrow can mean constant exposure to deafening jet engine noise. You can surf the web for transport schedules, but there are often interruptions in service that can clobber tight arrangements.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace

If you had to do one, I'd go for Hampton Court & glory in everything it has to offer.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/

The Palace is wonderful - Tudor & Georgian architecture. The tours running through the day are fascinating, often delivered by actors in full mufti/drag/costume.

There are demonstrations of authentic cooking in the Tudor kitchens - may only be in school hols - imagine a time when sugar was so rare & expensive it was the drug of choice of the aristocracy.

The Palace gardens will be looking great in June & you can get down to the riverside for a stroll.

Food at HC is a bit limited - there's a large cafe that'll does sandwiches & a limited range of hot food- plenty of tea & cakes. You could stock up & then wander off to the gardens/riverside for a chomp & lash of pop.

After closing go to Kingston or Richmond town for a nosh/pint to finish off your day & travel home by tube.

The view from Richmond Hill is breathtaking - the Thames curving round & London laid out in front of you. If you have some time & visibility is good, you won't be disappointed - head up RH towards the Star & Garter home marked on your London A-Z & the view will unfold.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Type in Richmond Hill as UK street - you want the Richmond Surrey TW10 item.

Ideally it'd be a warm bright summer's day & you could take the river boat down to Hampton Court - you'll float past Kew Gardens, it marks the end of the urban riversides & thereafter it's green & lush until you get to HC - very relaxing & an absolute treat to step away from the London hussle.

Otherwise, take the train straight to HC & get there for 10:00 - before the crowds build up.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace

Hampton Court events:

www.hrp.org.uk/webcode/content.asp?ID=8

..specifically in June:

Georgian Treats

28-30 May, 4-5 June, 2-3 July, 3-4 September and 1-2 October 2005

What Georgian goodies did Hampton Court's Grace and Favour residents indulge in? Our food archaeologists demonstrate food preparation and presentation in Georgian times within the palace kitchens.

Hampton Court Palace Music Festival

7-25 June 2005

Festival regulars will know that it is an opportunity for anyone and everyone to pack a picnic and enjoy the palatial pleasures of the British Versailles. Why not make a day of it at Hampton Court Palace soaking up the atmosphere of this historical royal residence. Just make sure you don���t get lost in the Palace���s famous maze and miss the start of the show! For details on tickets and performances visit www.hamptoncourtfestival.com