We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

I am wanting to bring locally made gifts for the English friends we will be visiting in May, i.e. maple syrup, saskatoon berry jam, etc. But I was also thinking of the DVD of the first season of "Corner Gas" which was filmed here. Are our North American DVDs playable in Britain? I know that our VHS won't play there, but wasn't sure about DVDs. Perhaps they won't think "Corner Gas" very funny anyway! (That would be "Corner Petrol" to the English.)

Djani

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

Generally North American commerical DVDs will not play in Europe because they are encoded to prevent it. Locally made DVDs may not be encoded and will probably play on English DVD players. The DVD player will output to PAL eventhough the our DVDs are intended for NTSC TV systems.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

US DVD's are Region 1, Europe DVD's are group 2. It is nothing more than a scam on the part of the film companies to prevent us buying DVD's at the cheap US prices. You can get multi-region players which will play any region. You will need to check what region player your friends have, or try and get region 2 disks.

BTW The region code has nothing to do with the TV type (PAL/NTCS)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

American brands of clothing are probably the best gift of all. Some years ago I bought some Timberland shoes in England for 135 pounds. Exactly the same shoes were on sale in central Boston for 65 dollars. Perhaps an extreme example but double the price seems to be normal.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

Maple syrup is exotic here - usually found in food havens & very expensive.

So if you can transport it safely & Customs allow it through, then it'll be a hit.

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

Thanks for the info. It is unfortunate that DVDs are not compatible. So maple syrup it will be.

Djani

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

Not to correct you Mr C but it's actually ploy to stop us all buying the really cheap Asian DVD's and VCD's.Not the pirate copies either. It too is on a different region as we are in Oz. I think there are 7 regions in all. Some DVD players can operate other zones but don't advertise it, Put the DVD in the drive, turn off then turn on, slowly press 9999 on the remote and it recognises the zone. You need to change the player back to your local zone to return to playing local DVDs by repeating the above instructions. Oh and something thats not often advertised is some computers with a DVD will also play discs from other regions. Just a tip for anyone who may find they have a non local DVD, either as a present or an overseas purchase.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: N. American DVDs vs British DVDs

My DVD player plays PAL Dvd's but it does not come through properly on the T.V. It did on other sets though, can't figure that one out. DVD's are not a good idea because of the region coding.