We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow T3

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow T3

I will be flying out of Terminal 3 in a couple of weeks. First transatlantic flight and as a nervous flyer this is a bit of a big deal to me. The flight is in the late afternoon so would like to 'make a day of it' at the airport to relax me, i.e. a nice lunch, bit of shopping and a couple of drinks. Am I best staying landside or going airside? Dont want to go airside too early only to find a tiny duty free store and a Costa!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow T3

There is more airside, although it's also alot busier. For example buy magazines and chocolate from the news store before you go through security as the airside store has masive queues. I often think about getting a last minute item of reading material then change my mind when I see the lines.

There are pubs and coffee bars airside and masses of perfume stores plus a Waterstones bookstore, some tourist tat shops and a couple of restaurants, all crammmed into a great big shopping mall type hall with the centre area crowded with people sitting or sleeping on the seats.

If you want to make a day of it, spend some time at the landside of the Terminal, have a drink there, browse around the stores then go through security with enough time to shop, drink and eat before your gate comes up on screen.

Just remember that the thousands of people you see on the day you fly are just like the thousands and thousands that fly out of Heathrow eveyday, and the millions each year. Some are relaxed about flying, some are nervous, but they all fly to the destinations and they all fly back again, without any problem.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow T3

It's been 2 years since I've flown out of T3, but my memory of it is that there's much, much more in the way of shops, etc. after you go through the security check.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,851 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow T3

There is loads more airside and the atmosphere feels somehow more relaxed. Plenty of seating in addition to the myriad eating and drinking establishments. A full list of shops etc can be found at www.baa.co.uk and clicking on Heathrow.

I would caution against too much alcohol or caffiene if you are a nervous flyer. A couple of drinks will actually make things worse. I know it's difficult but you shoud stick to juice and especially water. The pressure in aircraft cabins can dehydrate you very easily so llots of water is a must.

If you google nervous flyer, there are a host of books and tapes to help. My one tip - suck a boiled sweet on take off and landing.

Good luck and have a truly wonderful time.

Adam C

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow T3

Here's what's available landside: Accessorize, The Body Shop, Boots, Clintons Cards, Glorious Britain, Hargreaves Sports, LaSenza, The Link, Lush, Past Times, Rolling Luggage, Sock Shop, Sunglass Hut, Thorntons, Whittard of Chelsea, World News.

Eating and drinking: AMT Espresso, Burger King, Franklins of Boston, Garfunkel's, Harry Ramsden's (been there, it's just awful) Metro Cafe, Millies Cookies, Parallel 54, Sbarro, Starbucks, Upper Crust, Village Grill.

Airside: Bally, Berry Bros & Rudd, Books etc, Boots, Bvlgari, Burberry, Caviar House, Chanel, Chocolate Box, Cigar House, Dior, Dixons, David Clulow, Escada, Ferragamo, Folli Follie, French Connection, Glorious Britain, Gucci, Hamleys, Harrods, Hermes, Holland & Holland, Hugo Boss, Kurt Geiger, Lancome, Liberty, MAC, Mappin & Webb, Nike, Paul Smith, Pringle, Rigby & Peller, Rolling Luggage, Smythson, Sunglass Hut, Swatch, Thomas Pink, Tie Rack, Tumi, Virgin Megastore Express, Waterford/Wedgwood, World Duty Free, World News, World of Whiskies.

Eating and drinking: Bagel Street, Caffe Italia, Caviar House Seafood Bar, Chez Gerard, La Brioche Doree, O'Neills, Starbucks, TGIFriday's.

I think you're all right airside for things to keep you occupied. However, you can always add one more goodie to your pre-flight time by visiting www.holidayextras.co.uk and boooking time in one of the lounges at T3 - the Servisair lounge, to be exact. It costs about 16 quid, and you can have something to drink and a snack, read the paper, relax in a big comfy chair. It's a great way to start a holiday, I think.

Hope this helps.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow T3

Thanks everyone for your help & advice! :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow T3

funofthefair....who you flying with????

terminal 3 is like a shopping centre once you get airside with all shops, plus a tgi fridays etc

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow T3

Not sure if you mean airline or travelling companion Pinkfluffykitten! I am flying with my other half on BA.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow T3

Like others have already said, there's alot to do at T3 at LHR. I was there only a few weeks ago returning home to Canada. My friends and i got to T3 about 3 1/2 hours before our flight left. We were worried about what we were going to do to kill time. But after we went through security, time just flew.

After checking out the duty free and a few other shops, we went for one last English pint and a bite to eat. Next thing we knew we heard our flights gate called out and we saw that we only had just over a half a hour left until takeoff.

So 3 hours go by really quick in T3. I'm sure for people that use T3 more, the time must seem longer. But since it's your first time there, i think you'll find the time flies pretty quick. I know we did.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow T3

just one point....if it is a transatlantic flight with BA then surely it is terminal 4 and not 3? BA dont use terminal 3 do they?? I thought years ago when when terminal 4 opened they budged all their long hauls from there??

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,851 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow T3

BA fly to Miami from Terminal 3. The only destination from that terminal for some strange reason. Anyone know why?