We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Hotels: An observation

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
London Hotels: An observation

I've noticed that a lot of reasonably priced hotels in London (might apply to all of Europe) don't have air-conditioned rooms; they have AC in public areas but not in the rooms; they do indicate that windows can be opened. But I know that on really hot, humid days in NYC, opening a window is not going to cool you off. I'd really go for the hotels without A/C (like Ibis Earls Court) but am afraid that in July it might get hot and humid and I won't be able to sleep well. Has anyone stayed in a hotel in the summer time in London with A/C. (funny thing is I don't have A/C at home but I have a ceiling fan which is very good).

London
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Hotels: An observation

I am an American living in London and can tell you it very rarely gets hot enough that you would need air conditioning, and particularly the in the evenings as our nights are cool. Unless you are coming between mid july and mid august you definitely won't notice and even then I'd say you'd be fine.

I will say having stayed at Ibis' that they are a very basic hotel. Are you looking at Earl's Court for a reason?

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London Hotels: An observation

yank 715, I am thinking of staying at either the Rubens At the Palace Hotel or Sanctuary House Hotel? They got rave reviews on this site and elsewhere on the Web. (they both have AC and are withing walking distance of many attractions).

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Hotels: An observation

Hot & humid in London in July is most unlikely - many Londoners still have duvets on & wearing flannel jimjams to bed.

We've had a few hot August nights in the last couple of summers. But that's about it.

London has a milder climate than NY.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Hotels: An observation

Fear not, it very rarely gets 'Do The Right Thing' hot in London, and the humidity is rarely a problem. During my time there, I found that windows open and maybe a fan (and not having the cat draped around my neck!) was fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Hotels: An observation

whilst they may not have a/c lots of places I have stayed in has some kinf of climate control ie the heater normally blows cold air but not as cold as a/c....are you sure these hotels dont have something like that instead of a/c?

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Hotels: An observation

I think these people are wrong. I live in Texas, so I know what hot and humid is. I go to the UK every other summer in mid-July to early August. I have found it oppressively hot and muggy many times in the last six years. I will only stay in places with a/c now.

Texas
Level Contributor
384 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Hotels: An observation

I just wanted to add that the theatres can be really uncomfortable on some days too, so I have often chosen the plays I see based on which theatres have a/c.

It's a subjective thing, but I hate being hot.

NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London Hotels: An observation

I've noticed that a few of the listings (like Victoria Inn) say they have a thermostat that can be adjusted (does this mean that it has a/c or central air I don't know). I was thnking of staying there but not sure??

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Hotels: An observation

If you really need a/c (and London in July and August may be sticky enough for it) then controlled air, climate control or whatever it is called will not be enough for you.

Our law of sod states that if you book a place with a/c you won't need it and vice versa!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Hotels: An observation

Belgrave Road is lined with hotels, a lot of which can be dodgy, to read reviews on this site. I suspect that the Victoria Inn (closer to Pimlico tube than Victoria) isn't likely to have central air conditioning, nor an in-room unit - the thermostat is likely to be a dial on the radiator, if that.

Sorry, don't mean to be defeatist.

Back to the weather question, since NYC is at 43' north and London 51' north, it's most unusual to get hot, muggy days - very rare. Happens, but not for weeks on end.