We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

New York, NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

Hello!

We will be taking a daytrip to Paris while in London this May. Our train leaves from Waterloo at 5:34am (ouch!). We'll be staying at the Millenium Bailey's hotel. What is the best & quickest way to get to Waterloo? I know that the tube won't be running yet, and the night bus is cheapest but may take longer than a cab. There will be 2 of us splitting the cost if we take a cab, so hopefully that should help. If anyone knows the approx. cost of a cab, that would be great. We won't have any luggage since it's a daytrip. Also - we already have our tickets, what time do you think we should get to Waterloo?

Thanks again!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

We will also be staying at the Millennium Bailey's hotel and need the same help!!!! When will you be traveling? We will be in London March 20-23. I hope the hotel looks as good as the pictures!!!!!!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

MusicCity - we are traveling May 19th to May 29th. We can't wait! I'm jealous that you are leaving so soon!!! You'll have to let me know how the hotel is when you return!! Enjoy your trip!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

No problem!! I would love to tell you our thoughts on the hotel. If you guys want me to check anything else out just let me know. We love finding great restaurants and of course I love shopping so I'm sure I'll be able to report on those too.

Have fun planning your trip---we did!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

Those early morning Eurostar trains are at unreal times, aren't they? If it weren't for the lure of Paris at the end of it....

You're on Gloucester Road, so the N74 is the only bus that travels along the Cromwell Road at night, but you'd have to change at Hyde Park Corner, then likely change again to cross the river to Waterloo. A taxi should cost around a tenner (maybe a bit more - the website for the Public Carriage Office says a four mile fare will cost 13GBP between 2200-0600), so that's going to be the easiest, especially since you need to be at Waterloo no later than 0500 (and that's pushing it a bit).

May I make one suggestion for Paris? One of the best deals for a day trip is to buy a Mobilis pass at the Metro station - it's 5.20euro for zones 1 and 2, which is plenty of Paris, and it's good for bus and Metro travel. Comes with a little holder and a wee map, too. The Metro station at the Gare du Nord is - of course - at the far east side of the terminal building, and you will arrive at the far west side.

Bon voyage - hope it all works for you!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

TravellerPlus----we will be staying at the same hotel as Syderelli but our train doesn't leave until later in the morning. So... should we be ok with the first directions you gave? We weren't planning on taking a taxi (too much money).

Also, thanks for the mobilis advice. We will make sure and pick this up for our time in Paris.

THANK YOU!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

You are sooooo welcome. MusicCity, do you have your tickets yet? If not, maybe you can pick them up before the day of travel, and save that small headache. The ticket desks at Waterloo are busy enough, it seems, without adding that aggravation to your day of travel.

If you're not heading out til later, you have two options. One is to take the Piccadilly line to Green Park, then pick up the Jubilee line to Waterloo, or District or Circle line to Westminster, then Jubilee line to Waterloo. Connections are good, and I found the tube times adhering to those posted on the website, for travel between 0600-0700.

Once you've passed through the screening process, keep an eye out for the information desk, where they should have free Time Out Paris guides - it's a mini type guide, about 25 pages, but still exciting reading for the trip. The newsagents at Waterloo station should sell the bigger Time Out guide - costs around 4GBP or 5euro (but free is a v good price). One more piece of Paris advice, and I can't stress this too strongly - make your way to the Ile St Louis and go to Berthillon, for the most astonishingly good ice cream you have ever tasted. It's closed Mondays and Tuesdays, but other shops on the Ile sell the stuff. Small scoops, but worth every penny. Check out www.berthillon-glacier.fr; it's only a five minute stroll over the Pont Marie, or ten minutes' brisk walk from St Paul (Metro station) ...yum.

Again, bon voyage.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

MusicCity - I've stayed in this area before, but at the Thistle Kensington Park and the Holiday Inn- Forum hotels. Kensington is an amazing place to visit and there are tons of restaurants, shopping, grocery stores, etc. to keep you busy. There's a great organic pizza place right near the hotel, as well as a small deli-type place that serves awesome breakfast sandwiches (particularly egg/bacon & cheese on a delicious baguette!) Definitely put up a post when you return and let us know how everything went and if you found any restaurants, pubs, etc. that I shouldn't pass up in May! I'm excited for you!!! :-)

- Cheryl

New York, NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

TravellerPlus -

Thanks for all the great advice! I think we'll definitely go for the cab - it's worth paying extra for the convenience... particularly that early in the morning! The Paris suggestion is also great - We'll definitely get the Mobilis pass, it certainly seems worth it. Now if I didn't have to wake up so early that morning!!!

- Cheryl

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

Syderelli, you are most welcome. Are you travelling Standard, or did you push the boat out and get tickets in First? (sorry, don't mean to be 100% rude and nosey, just 97%) In First, you'll get a fab breakfast, but have to pay for your grub in Standard - and it's not really wonderful. I might also gently recommend getting a tea and nibbles before getting on the train -- at 0534 - !!!

Have a wonderful trip, and please post your findings. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Millenium Baileys to Waterloo

We stayed at Millenium baileys last August and the August before. The rooms were clean and "very english in style" Our room was much better than the children's (it faced onto Gloucester Rd so was a little noisy in the evenings but they experienced no problems with sleeping. Our room with no view at all but quieter. Both rooms were large (by London standards) and the food in Olive's Restaurant was good.

We used a cab from Waterloo (sometimes with 4 this is always cheaper) and I think it cost around 8 pound (I may be wrong). However i was surprised at how reasonably priced it was given the convenience. There are usually a lot of cabs just across the road near the station.