We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
560 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Last year, we ended up holding onto the currency that we'd still had left and used it towards this years trip. But we have 40 pounds left (I thought only 20, but I just found that my husband had another 20!) So I'd kind of like to exchange them for US currency. Our credit union doesn't do this, and I'm not sure it's worth a drive to the airport to do it. Any suggestions? I checked online, but I'm not even sure what keywords to use.

Thank you!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from $126.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from $105.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from $149.10*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from $300.40*
$333.80
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Do you know anyone going to the UK soon?

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

You have SunTrust banks in your area. Call one of them. I know I can deposit a check in £, and order up foreign currency at my SunTrust here, so they might exchange at the bank there. If there's a foreign currency conversion fee, though, it may not be worth it. But call and ask them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

keep them and book your next trip!

if you aren't planning a trip back anytime soon - i would see if you know anyone else going and sell the £ to them.

Wendi

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

You can send them to me, and I'll send 40 dollars by return. No commission.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Stop it, Peter! ;)

Alabama
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Going to London next May so I am interested in buying your GBP. Will send you cash or certified check in the mail then you can send me the pound notes. I will buy at fair price. Just let me know.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Agree with Wendi - why not just keep it in the safe for the next trip? It sure comes in handy if you can't make it to an ATM on day one.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Now, if it were £400 sterling, I could see the point in exchanging it. However, wsith regard to $£40 sterling, once you've paid the bank charges and have been given an unfavourable exchange rate by your bank, you will probably end up with the dollar equivalent of circa £34 (as opposed to the original £40 you started off with). There's also the opportunity cost of going to the bank to exchange the money.

Far better to keep the money and visit the UK again (assuming you liked the place).

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

I was in your situation after our last trip with about 80 pounds. Check with the larger banks in your area and I'll bet one of them will exchange them. My bank did tell me they wouldn't take the coins, only paper so already have 15 pounds waiting to be used next March. Or do as some of the others have said and hold them for your next trip, it's not the best reason to go back but I'll take any reason I can get.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchanging back pounds now that we are home?

Agree with the others - just save it for the next time. I've got 30 pounds set for the next trip. Right before I leave London I put most of any money left over in my savings account there especially the coins. Always wind up with a LOT of coins.