We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Warwick

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Warwick

My husband decided he'd like to visit Warwick Castle. We'll be in London w/o a car, so we need to figure out rail info. The cheapest rail price I can get is 30 GBP each! And that's with us leaving London fairly late in the day. Is there some trick to doing this or is traveling via train just more expensive than I thought? If it's really that much $$, LMK and we'll consider a day trip with Evan Evans or similar...

NC
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Warwick

Okay, well, now I'm realizing it's 30 GBP for both of us round trip... That's still $60 + $30 entry fee = probably $100 for the trip. Any way to make this cheaper? Thanks!

2. Re: Getting to Warwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:36 pm, August 09, 2005
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Warwick

That's still going to cost almost 200 dollars for the two of you. I think a cheaper train fare could be found if you book early. Are you using Chiltern Trains? Their train fares from London Marylebone are usually cheaper than First Great Western from Paddington, and they offer a direct service to Warwick as well.

If all else fails when you get to the castle, I know where there is a whole in the fence. It's at the back where they keep the compost.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Warwick

A hole in the whole fence, I mean.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Warwick

Hi Recran,

Have a look at www.thetrainline.com. They are quoting 23GBP per person for a depature from Marylebone at 9.50am getting into Warwick Station (a ten minute walk) at 11.21am. You could see if the train operator Chiltern have any deals for the day you are travelling - www.chilternrailways.co.uk

You can order in advance or pay on the day.

Hope that helps a little. Warwick is a fair distance (80 miles or so) from London.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

NC
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Warwick

Say, how long should we allow for time at the castle? We can get 15 GBP each fares if we leave London at 1120 (arrive 1300), but I'd like to be back in London for dinner... Thanks!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Warwick

I feel three hours is about right for a visit to Warwick Castle, excluding lunch or walking to and from the station. You may need a little more time if it is a weekend. This is when they have archery displays and jousting, in other words more attractions to keep you interested. Crowds are greater then as well.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Warwick

The town is worth a wander if you have time. There is a 5.19pm train that gets you back to Marylebone at 7.04pm and there are others at 4.24 and 4.49.