We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
3 posts
Save Topic
HELP..leaving for london soon!!

If this question is redundant..i'm sorry. I will be travelling to london very soon and I am not too sure on what kind of rail pass I should get...so I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I was considering just waiting until I arrive in London and getting a 7-day tube pass or a londonpass which as you know supposedly comes with many discounts for admissions, etc. I need to get from Heathrow to my hotel..would the 7day tube pass be used for that or would I have to purchase some separate pass for travel from the airport? As you may have guessed already, I only need to get back and forth from the airport and to travel within zone 1&2....I don't want to buy what I don't need....sure need to say some $$....thanks for your help!!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Several ways to do this! I have purchased the LondonPass, but it is pricey and it works well only if you are planning to travel through all six zones of London, including Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace as it will include the admission fees and the transportation costs to those locations. Plus, no waiting in lines which is a big plus. To make the most out of the pass, you need to list all the sites you want to see, how much they are, and if the pass covers them. Also, the travelcard will include the transporation from Heathrow if you take the tube, to your tube stop in Central London. Keep in mind you are traveling with luggage and that can be a pain - the Heathrow express gets you into central London alot quicker but it is extra money - they have room for luggage, etc. If you only need zone 1&2 - I would purchase those when you arrive in London, and take the Heathrow express. There is also a british National Heritage Pass that gets you into most sites, too.

Where are you staying?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Sorry - the British Heritage pass is the one you may want to look at - try www.visitbritain.com or google search for British Heritage Pass.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,661 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Hi Dori 883,

I'm not a big fan of these London passes as they tend to commit you to things that you might not want to do once you are actually here. Slightly different if you are touring the country when The Heritage Pass can become very useful.

How long are you staying for and where and are you happy to pay more for The Heathrow Express or would you prefer to stick with the tube? Let us know and we can then suggest the best tube pass as well as directions.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Dori, we buy our tube pass at the Heathrow underground station. We get the zones 1&2 with no restrictions. They will charge you a one way ticket to get from heathrow to central London. The Piccadilly line runs from the terminals. Heathrow express is nice but with the horrible exchange rate we have npow it's really too expensive. At least we think so. Also we have never bought the London passes. Speaking from 6 trips of experience. Have a great time.

D.C.
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

I am trying to save money and use the Tube to go from Heathrow to Paddington. If I buy a 3 day Tube pass does this cover the trip from the Airport to Paddington? I see the Airport is in zone 6 so wouldn't think so. What is the best route on the Tube from Heathrow to Paddington. I am pretty subway savy as I live in D.C. so know it will be busy. Will I take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, does that station connect there, can't tell on the map looks like it might not connect to the Piccadilly.

chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Thanks for the replies. I will be going to stay at the ambassadors hotel in kensington. I pretty much made my list of places we want to go to and compared it with the places that are included in the london pass and it turns out that there are only several places included that we want to go to see. So, I think I will just not bother with the londonpass as it will be more costly to get than to just pay admissions at the attractions....Just gotta stand in line though..oh well not a big deal. As far as the tube travel......Would I have to buy an all zone pass to travel from the airport to and vice versa? We plan on travelling to sightsee only in zones 1&2 but not sure if I would have to buy an all zone or just stick to the zone 1&2 pass and get another pass for just the transport from and to the airport??? is there such a thing?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

If you venture into another Zone, you are able to purchase a ticket (additional fare ticket) that covers that particular (single) journey.

The same applies for a trip from the airport. Purchase your 7-day travelcard and when you leave for London centre get a ticket that covers the Zones you will travel through. I

n my case we ventured out to Wimbledon via Southfields station in Zone 3. Not sure of the extra fare but well worth it to see this historic venue. A couple of dollars for us both........whatever. Just ask any TFL ticket seller, they are very helpful.

Stick with a 7-day travelcard, as Adam states the other passes with discounts have attractions you may not want or have time to see.

I think those purpoted 'discount' passes will end up costing more in the long run.

Relax, stay loose, have fun.

Poppa

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,661 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP..leaving for london soon!!

Dori,

At Heathrow you can either buy a single ticket to your London destination at a cost of 3.80GBP and then buy your 7 day tube pass the next day OR if you are planning do use the tube a fair bit on your arrival day and it is after 9.30am it would be worth buying an all zones one day travel card at Heathrow for 6.00GBP. Before 9.30 it would cost 12.00GBPand therefore possibly not worth it.

Meg,

It would actually make sense to buy a 3 day travelcard covering all zones. This would cost 18GBP but covers you for all tubes and buses in those 3 days.

Dori,

There are two Ambassador Hotels in the Kensington area plus an Ambassadors in near Euston Station in Bloomsbury. Sorry to be a pain but which one? Don���t like to worry you but there are some pretty awful reviews of the one in Kensington Gardens Square at the hotel section of this site.

Meg,

Don���t change at Hammersmith. The two stations are not connected. At Hammersmith cross over to the District Line (opposite platform, no stairs) and take the first train to Earls Court. Then change again and take another district line train heading for Edgware Road. It is 4 stops to Paddington.

Hope that helps but please ask again if anything is unclear.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com