We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Thames canoeing

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
River Thames canoeing

Has anyone experienced canoeing adventure on the Thames lets say as a day excursion ?

Will visit in 15 days .

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
209 Reviews
London, UK
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,590 Reviews
from $119.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
737 Reviews
from $107.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from $121.80*
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Thames canoeing

Not sure what the difference is between a kayak and a canoe but try this link anyway -

http://www.londonkayaktours.co.uk/

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Thames canoeing

If you're visiting in 15 days from now then I'd have thought the Thames would be too cold. Up here in Oxford it's flowing very fast at the moment and canoeing would be very hazardous even if it weren't so cold. Downstream the current might be less strong, but it don't think London is a place for canoeing on the Thames, certainly not in winter.

Angie

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
209 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Thames canoeing

monroeessex, as a Canadian who knows the difference between canoes and kayaks, it has been my experience that every "canoe" club in England is full of kayaks and nary a canoe in sight.

This is a kayak: sportscene.tv/flatwater/canoe-sprint/news/ca…

This is a canoe: tourismsaskatchewan.com/things-to-do/outdoor…

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Thames canoeing

What Angie said - you will need to be quite an experienced kayaker to be out on the Thames right now as it is very full, fast-flowing and, as always in winter, there will be quite a bit of debris (tree branches etc) floating along. If this was just intended to be a fun excursion, try again in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
209 Reviews
London, UK
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Thames canoeing

There are lots of people out in all sorts of these small craft all winter long down here in Richmond. You could walk along the river near Richmond Bridge and make enquiries.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
North Yorkshire, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River Thames canoeing

Also worth knowing that the Thames is tidal through London and has quite strong tidal flows. You want to be sure of what you are doing before you set out.

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
209 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: River Thames canoeing

I see lots of people kayaking from Shadwell Basin; I believe they teach beginners in the sheltered water of the basin itself, but they certainly take their more experienced paddlers out on the river as I have seen groups of them there many times. They have canoes and dinghys as well, but it's mainly kayaks that I see on the river. www.shadwell-basin.co.uk. I think a canoe would be a much more comfortable experience for a first-time paddler - two adults can fit in one canoe easily, they feel a bit more stable than a kayak (once you're both seated correctly) your sit on top rather than inside a cockpit, and they are much easier to learn to steer too.

Edited: 5:40 am, January 06, 2015
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: River Thames canoeing

I've always found kayaks more stable than canoes but it depends on the type of kayak - a racing kayak is like balancing on a knife blade and a sea kayak is not that easy for a beginner; a flat-bottomed kayak of the all-purpose type is very stable but directional stability won't be great. However, I would reiterate that January is not a great time to be learning to canoe outdoors, as it is damned cold if you fall in (as you inevitably will). So, if you know what you are doing, go ahead by all means, but if you are not an experienced canoeist, I'd find something else to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: River Thames canoeing

I would echo PoolLounger and say that you should probably only try to Thames if you know what you're doing - there are strong currents and you could tire easily.

I know this place does tours, based out of Limehouse: http://www.moocanoes.com/

I think the Shadwell Basin club need you to be a member to take their boats out iirc as I did look at doing that myself once. Might be wrong.

10. Re: River Thames canoeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2016