We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

malacca, malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

We are from Malaysia and will be arriving at Heathrow around 4,20 pm in August and intend to fly to Lucerne the same day to meet our friend in Switzerland.

What is the cheapest flight available as I understand that the departure tax from Heathrow is very high for Low cost Carriers, thus the Low Cost Carriers depart from Gatwick or Stansted.? These carriers land at Basel which is further from Lucerne than Zurich .

Only British Airways and Swiss Air flies from LHR to Zurich and the fare is on the high side.

Bearing in mind the baggage, CIQ clearance and check in requirement of 2 hours before flight and the time taken to the Low Cost terminals, I wonder whether we can make it on time to take the flight to Lucerne.

If not , which budget Hotel near these two Low Cost Terminal would be good for overnight stay.?

Thank You for the suggestions and answers.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from $126.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
441 reviews
from $104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,073 reviews
from $148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from $100.50*
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

I really dont understand how you expect anyone to answer your questions about flights.

You will have to do the work yourself to trade off cost vs convenience vs risk (dont forget, as well as delays to flights on the day, flights can also be rescheduled leaving your home made connection impossible)

Also, you are apparently expecting people to look at a wide variety of hotels at two different airports and compare prices (and presumably closeness to airport, quality, facilities etc) for you.

London
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

Transfer between any of London's airport (and there are six of them) is not quick or easy. It should be regarded as a last resort if there really is no other option - you create a lot of hassle and potential for things to go wrong by doing this.

The additional transfer costs (and probably hotel, as you're unlikely to be able to catch a flight same day from a different airport) are likely to wipe out any potential saving in not booking a flight out of LHR.

The "safest" option is to have the LHR-ZRH flight added to your existing booking - that way you and your bags can be checked through to Zurich.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

To transfer between flights (Heathrow to Gatwick) can easily require up to five hours. More for Stansted or Luton (and other London airports).

malacca, malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

Thank You for your reply. Honestly, i have spent hours researching and trying to find the best alternative.

Whatever suggestions given is very much appreciated.

There is a Hotel in Hounslow, around 4 miles from Heathrow Airport which is reasonably priced, 38 pound, Is there a bus or shuttle I can take from LHR Airport as I understand Taxis are very expensive. Then probably I can choose more flights options.

We are also thinking whether from Prague, our last Euro stop, better to fly to London, or straight to Liverpool as a relative stays there. From London to Liverpool takes 2-3 hours by tube ? Thanks.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

from euston (central london station) to liverpool does indeed take 2-3 hours via train but you'll need to add about another hour on if you stay near heathrow to get to euston.

if you are going straight to liverpool then manchester and birmingham are both a lot nearer then any london airports if you can't fly into liverpool airport.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

Thank You for your reply. Honestly, i have spent hours researching and trying to find the best alternative.

======

So why didnt you post a few results / shortlisted options, eg "I could take the 8pm from Luton or the 730 from Stansted or should I overnight, or should I take the 6pm from Heathrow ....?" ... Something like that.

No one knows if "rather pricey" means its £250 compared to Ryanair £50, or if its £10 more so how can people give opinions on your choices? re the Heathrow hotel, Hounslow is on the tube, you can take that to near your hotel. Its about £4 a person each way. If there are 2 that will be cheaper than a car service.

You most certainly cannot take the tube to Liverpool!!! The tube is London only. And as per various other threads here, if you wish to go to Liverpool, dont fly to London or anywhere near it. Fly either to Liverpool, or Manchester which is only one hour away, not 3-4 once you factor train times and connections in)

Edited: 11:59 am, May 27, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

royee,

I'm currently on mobile, in a pub in London with a flakey wifi connection. So I'll try to answer you when I get "home" (family in z6).

In the meantime, can you please answer the following questions -

1) Where are you originating your journey, and where exactly do you want to go to, for your entire trip (all destinations and an approximate timeline please)?

2) Which air tickets have you already purchased? Which airline(s) from where to where, for which part of your trip? And on which **dates** for the parts that touch London?

That information would help us help you. If you have already booked flights to London then it may have been better had you asked before booking those flights. But what is done is done, and let's help you get the best out of what you have.

USBT.

Edited: 12:44 pm, May 27, 2014
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

You might look also at using Geneva airport as your gateway to Switzerland. It's 2 hours 50 minutes on a fast train from Geneva to Lucerne. The direct trains run every hour from a station right next to the air terminal in Geneva. The Swiss railway system is probably the best in Europe but, like everything in Switzerland, very expensive (though there are some special deals - see www.swissrailways.com)

Geneva, unlike Zurich, is served by low-cost carriers including Easyjet which has direct flights Geneva-Liverpool. But I would sound a note of caution about low-cost carriers in general. You need to calculate carefully the fare you would be liable to pay, including their charges for checked baggage which visitors from outside Europe can have a lot of. Often you will find you can get a competitive or, even, a better deal, taking account of luggage charges, on a full-service airline like BA.

malacca, malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

Wow, you guys out there are really a great help. I have mentioned that I have been to London, but on a guided tour, many many years ago!! I took the tube to the War Museum to understand the Blitz and WW 2. For a Malaysian, I got the idea that we can use the tube to Liverpool !! Silly me.!

Coming back to my predicament, my flight from KUL arrives LHR at 4.20pm. We want to be at Lucerne as my wife's friend stays there. We have booked a farm house near Lucerne for around RM 150 per night.

There is a British Airways flight, bless them, leaving at 7.45pm from LHR to ZRH, Zurich, arriving at around 10pm, costing around RM 480. ( 1 Pound is RM5.60 ) In case of CIQ delay, baggage or flight delay from Malaysia,, we may miss the ZRH flight as the time interval is rather short. Need two hours check in before taking international flight. That is the main risk unless we take the chance to fly the same night.

On the other hand, we can go to a hotel nearby,by bus, around RM70, to say Stansted Airport Lodge, costing around RM250 for a night, and then take a cheap RYan Air or Easy Jet from Gatwick or Stansted to Basel during the daytime and then proceed to Lucerne.. This way, it does not matter if there is flight or other delays !!

So, my wife and I, both govt. pensioners, are divided as to which is the better and wiser choice to take.!!

We .are going for a 3 weeks trip in August to Switzerland, East Europe and London. All of you are so kind to render advice of which we really appreciate very much.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,480 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Heathrow Airport(LHR) to Stansted or Gatwick.

If you're landing at Heathrow I wouldn't get any flight from Stansted. I would fly from Gatwick - there's a good bus service between the two - and fly the next day (Easyjet is probably a good option) and find a hotel near the Gatwick. I have just stayed at the new Hampton at Gatwick (haven't posted a review yet) which is very good and extremely convenient - 5 minutes from North terminal and only about 10 more from South via the free shuttle train. (There are others as well which may be cheaper but they aren't as convenient so you may spend more getting to and from them).

As you appear to understand, I would not fly on the same day unless on a true connected ticket. If your inbound flight is delayed - or just changed - you could be in for a hefty price to change. It's not just the time at the airport you need to consider.