We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in London

Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in London

My husband and I are staying in London the first week in April. I love to shop and want to know "not to miss" places. I have read about some market places with "artsy" type items. Where would be the best places to go for reasonably priced items. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in London

Hmmm, this is a big question. What are you interested in - anything specific, or just shopping for what's different and exciting? One of your first purchases should be the wonderful Time Out Guide to Shopping in London - the latest edition has a stripey pink cover and is worth every penny. Most big newsagents and bookstores will have it - it covers everything from fashion to house and garden, things for children, leisure activities, food and drink, markets, and probably a few things I've left out.

A quick list of 'don't miss' would include Selfridges, one of the bigger Marks & Spencer (High Street Ken if not Oxford Street), Waitrose for exotic groceries, Sainsbury's for regular groceries, and Boots or Superdrug for interesting skin care goods. Poke around in Soho for small stores that sell unusual Italian or French items, and Angelucci's for delicious coffee.

Prices range from inexpensive to sky-high, but overall, London is not cheap. Reasonable takes some searching, but it depends on what you fancy.

Good luck!

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in London

It sounds as if you'd like Spitalfields Market on a Sunday and the Camden Lock area of Camden Market on a Saturday and Sunday (with some shops also open in the week but not particularly worth a special trip). Also, Hackney in East London has a huge community of designers and artists who band together for a big show (before Christmas, unfortunately for you), but you can browse their work and find out where to buy it at www.hiddenart.com

There are big crafts shows in London intermittently. Check the weekly Time Out mag to see if you're in luck.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in London

Sounds like you would also like Portobello Road Market on a Saturday morning. Although the antique shops are open all week, Saturday is the day when all the stalls are laid out with collectables and antiques. It gets very busy but you will see some great stuff. Get there early (nearest tube Notting Hill Gate or Ladbroke Grove) and watch out for pickpockets!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in London

As you can see, there are many, many areas of London in which to shop till you drop! Kings Road in Chelsea is a fun place to go as is Jermyn St. in Piccadilly/St. James. (St. James's Church also has an outdoor market.)

For affordable local jewelry & craft items, head to the art market in Greenwich on Sat. Or google one of these organizations for their current fair schedule: Country Living, British Crafts, Crafts in Focus.

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in London

Anyone know of any good places to shop for retired china, specifically Royal Doulton and Denby?

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in London

go to google and just enter markets in london

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in London

Tracy, there are a few stores in London that carry nothing but retired china patterns - have a look at google.co.uk.

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in London

Thanks, tried it before and tried again without a lot of luck. Just thought someone might know of a couple good ones I could check out.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in London

Tracy: The traders at Boubon Hanby Antique Centre may be able to help you with retired china. It's a charming little nest of shops in Chelsea. From Sloane Square station, walk straight down Kings Road. It's on the right - I think it's on the corner of Sydney St. & Kings Rd.

http://www.bourbonhanby.co.uk/page1.htm

Colorado
Level Contributor
468 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in London

Thanks offtolondon, looks like a great place even if I don't find my china. Cheers!