We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

I got a "ticket alert" email from East Coast informing me I can now make a reservation for Aug.1. I tried and got a notice that it is not available. And if I tried and sign up for another alert, it tells me the tickets are already available. However, I tried with going from Euston to Waverley, and no problem. Does this mean the tickets are already sold out? Should I just buy the ticket going from Euston but hop on at Kings Cross? Any insight is much appreciated.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,677 Reviews
from $122.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,251 Reviews
from $125.10*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from $102.50*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

If you've booked from London Euston to Edinburgh Waverley station then you've probably seen a suggestion that you take the Underground from Euston to KX then board the East Coast train there. Given that one could walk from Euston to KX faster than travelling by Underground, the computer-generated suggestion should be set aside for now.

EastCoast may be selling tickets for *some* journeys for travel on 1 August, but I suspect that KX to Edinburgh fares have not yet been loaded as weekend engineering plans may not have been sorted out yet. Give it another five to seven days.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

I can see advance fares on the East Coast website for 1st August for Kings Cross - Waverley and just took it as far as the screen for entering payment details.

What time train are you trying to book and at which point is it saying it's unavailable?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

I get the 'too early to book' message at the EastCoast website as well. I wonder if it's because the website 'knows' that I am at UTC -8h; with Hawaii (HonluluStar's location) at UTC -10h the inability to book may be because we are not yet within the allowed time frame.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

That's very weird. I can't imagine that it screens people as to their timezone, mainly because as we know there isn't a specified time frame in which to book the tickets, they release them whenever they do (somewhere vaguely around 12 weeks beforehand).

But that's very strange indeed. The 1st August is the latest date East Coast have currently released and take it these were released on Friday (it usually happens on a Friday...) Might be worth giving a couple of days and trying again and the website might have sorted itself out.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

It does seem unlikely but that first thing that sprang to my mind was the time difference.

I too can see the Advance Fares and booking on the East Coast.

I also found them on Red Spotted Hanky - whatever that is.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

If it is the time difference, it's odd that I should be able to book from Euston but not Kings Cross. Thank you all for the quick response. I will wait a few days and try again.

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

If I try going directly to the East Coast website, I get the warning that it's too early. If I go to the National Rail website ( www.nationalrail.co.uk ), it links me to the East Coast website and I can get as far as the payment page. Tickets were listed at £51 on Nat'l Rail but came up as £50 on East Coast for an Advance fare.

I didn't get a choice for Edinburgh Waverley on Nat'l Rail, just Edinburgh (EDB) and Edinburgh Park. I tried both Edinburgh and Edinburgh Waverley on the East Coast site and both said tickets were not released yet. I don't know if Edinburgh and Edinburgh Waverley are the same station.

Edited: 12:56 am, May 12, 2014
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,711 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

I doubt it has anything to do with the time difference. What would be the point of that? The tickets are released when they're released.

>>I also found them on Red Spotted Hanky - whatever that is.<<

It's ATOS's (who program the booking engines of a lot of train companies' websites, including East Coast's) own ticket website.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,055 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

Edinburgh is Edinburgh Waverley, I noticed they've changed it from being Waverley on a lot of the booking sites.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

EDB is Waverley

Looks as though the ticket release procedure hasn't worked properly. It will be fixed