We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard vs. Oyster Card

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Travelcard vs. Oyster Card

I know there have been several posts about this but I'm still having difficulty deciphering which one I should go with. I will be taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station then planning to take the tube for the week or so that I will be in London. Our hostel is near the London Eye, Big Ben, etc. but we plan to see Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, White Chapel, Covent Garden, King's Cross Station, really the main tourist things to see. We are three students so we're traveling on a bit of a budget and i'm also trying to incorporate the tube strike into my decision as we will be there May 3rd to the 9th.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,710 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelcard vs. Oyster Card

I agree with dzug1. Saying that you are students on a budget and staying in a hostel does conflict with using the most expensive mode of transportation that there is to get out of Heathrow. I don't think you can really be on any sort of limiting budget if you are insisting on taking the Heathrow Express and ignoring the possibility of using 2 for 1 offers because you want to book online. You really can save a lot of money using the offers, so I urge you to think again if you really don't have unlimited funds!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,835 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelcard vs. Oyster Card

Th Heathrow Express won't even be much, if at all, faster between Heathrow and your destination. It would get you to Paddington faster, but Paddington is miles from anywhere you want or need to be.

Buying tickets on-line does not get you any real advantage in London. Except for Madame Tussauds the queues are reasonable and you would still need to go through security for the Tower of London and queue for the Jewell Tower, so what is the point?

What may make sense in some other destinations often does not make sense in London, England. (Although it is difficult to imagine a place where taking such an expensive form of transport which doesn't save time overall makes any sense)

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelcard vs. Oyster Card

It will be no more comfortable and take more time to take the HEX to Paddington and then the Tube from there. Getting on the Tube (Piccadilly Line) at Heathrow means you are at the beginning of the Line and will have no difficulty finding a seat. Getting the Tube at Paddington means a walk to the Tube platform and onto a train which will most likely be crowded.

14. Re: Travelcard vs. Oyster Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 01, 2015