We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London travel

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
London travel

Hi

Any constructive advice would be much appreciated please. We are a family of 3 ( Child aged 12) travelling to London for 5 days from Sunday May 25th to Thursday 29th. We are staying in the Holiday Inn Express at Swiss Cottage ( Zone 2, Finchley Rd Tube?). We intend covering all of the usual sightseeing venues around the centre but was wondering what would be our cheapest way of getting around from where we are staying? We have a Family & Friends railcard if that helps. We will also look at remaining Offpeak to avoid unneccesary conjestion and added ticket costs. Are the Bus tours worth the expensive cost seeing as they do take in all the important places?

Also, we intend booking a tour of Wembley Stadium on Monday 25th May in the morning and then moving up to the Harry Potter Studio tour in the afternoon, again can you advise on the best and least costly way of covering this trip please?

Thank you in advance, the London travel system seems so confusing, or is it my old age!!! LOL. Apologies for the long question.

Scott

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London travel

If you will travel to London by rail then please hang on to your outbound tickets as with them (and the returns) you may use the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk and save pounds.

With a five day stay you have the choice between seven day Travelcards and using PAYG on Oyster; your 12 year old will pay adult fares if using the latter so the choice should be between a seven day card and one day cards.

Seven day cards allow use at any time, no need to wait until after 0930. Your Railcard will give you one third off the cost of a zones 1 - 6 Travelcard, making a £8.90 card cost just under £6. The off peak cap for PAYG use in zones 1 and 2 is £7 and the cost of a seven day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 is £31.40. The Chlid fares are half the Adult fares.

In order to use the two for one offers you must have rail tickets for travel to London (your outbound and return tickets will give you the use of the offers during your entire stay) *or* Travelcards bought at a rail ticket office - Travelcards loaded on Oyster, TfL one day Travelcards or PAYG on Oyster are not valid for use with the offers.

If you travel off peak to Watford Junction for the HP tour you may be eligible for GroupSave fares - check www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times on the day you plan to travel. Since you will travel during half term you may wish to ensure the HP tour does not book up for your time in London.

Have a look at the two for one offers and decide if you will use them as that will to some extent dictate how you pay for transport in the capital. With respect to the hop on hop off tours, with Travelcards you may make your own and save pounds; you won't have a commentary but that may not be an issue for you.

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London travel

Thank you so much for that brilliant advice. The 2 for 1 website will be a godsend I'm sure. You are probably right about the one day travel cards as they work out best I think. With regards the HP tour day, I intend getting tube to Wembley park then doing stadium tour (2 for 1) then I think we will have to head for Wembley central and catch an overground through to Watford junction. Think it makes sense to do both attractions in one day as they are both in North London and outside zones 1-2. I don't suppose we could buy a ticket to cover both tube and train travel for that day could we?

Thanks again you have been really helpful.

Kind regards

Scott

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London travel

You're welcome.

Travelcards are good for use on the Underground, Overground, DLR and National Rail services in the paid for zones plus buses in zones 1 - 6. Wembley Central is in zone 4, but Watford Junction is outside zone 8 so different fares will apply.

One day Travelcards are good for use in zones 1 - 6, so if you do buy them you will pay more up front than if you were to buy seven day Travelcards or use PAYG on Oyster, but you won't have to consider the excess fares for travel to and from Wembley (that you would with zones 1 and 2 seven day cards) and you will save money with the two for one offers.

You will need to buy rail tickets from the boundary of zone 6 to Watford Junction for the HP tour though. If my calculattions are correct the return fare will be £4.50 / £2.25 (adult / child), still cheaper than a one day off peak card from zone 1 to Watford Junction at £16.40. Ensure you ask for the rail tickets from the boundary of zone 6 as you will have paid the fare to that point within the cost of your one day Travelcards.

4. Re: London travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, April 04, 2014
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London travel

For 'UKDriven' read 'UK Drivel'

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,044 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London travel

I'm quite happy to be chauffeur-driven - when someone else is paying for it ;-)

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,119 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London travel

Post 4 reported as advertising. And just plain wrong, but there isn't a category for that.

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London travel

Again, excellent advice and thank you for that.

To sum up, it is probably best for us to stick with the daily railcards for zones 1-6, as we do get one third off the price with our family railcard. This will get us to Wembley Park via tube on the Monday and we will simply pay for a return train fare from Wembley Central through to Watford Junction?

The remainder of our stay will only involve traveling around zones 1-2 so again, is it cheaper to stick with the daily railcards with the 33% off the price do you think? Or do I simply plump for the 7 day pass even though I will only use it for five days?

As for the two for one offers, they are fabulous and like you say, will save me a fortune I reckon :)

Thank you for taking the time to answer and offer me some superb advice and I am so sorry to keep mithering but trying to get my head around this trip is baffling!! We want to cram in as much as we can in such a short amount of time that's all so need an itinerary to stick to.

Kind Regards

Scott

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London travel

If you have a Tesco clubcard you can use the points to pay for the bus tour. In that case it's definitely worth it. Numerous London venues are also 'free' to clubcard users including Twickenham Stadium but not Wembley,unfortunately.

Oldham, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London travel

Thank you, that too is very helpful info. We do have a clubcard and will ensure we take it with us now!!

Regards

Scott