We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to hang out/walk

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Areas to hang out/walk

Hello, I will be visiting London for a few days in mid-May. While I have a lot of things planned, I sometimes like to just relax and walk around taking in a city. What are some cute/hip/pretty neighborhoods or streets to hang out in? Bonus if there's good food, vintage shops, bookstores, coffee.

Thanks!!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Camden. Probably one of London's coolest and hip neighbourhoods. A bit Haight-Ashbury with a bit of Greenwich Village thrown in (in a sort of Yank perspective) and a place to buy almost everything and anything from jewellery to posters and LP's to paintings.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Bloomsbury. Good bookshop in Judd St

Greenwich

Essex
Level Contributor
27,175 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Islington.

OR for "very" central, Covent Garden and maybe the Southbank...

But they are touristy.

The other options given so far are good, Richmond is another good spot, maybe Dulwich or Blackheath?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,201 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Lots of choice in this town. Hope you're prepared.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Pick an area (Bloomsbury, perhaps) and go on a bookshop walk: londonist.com/2013/12/mapped-londons-indepen…

http://www.thelondonbookshopmap.org/

Edited: 8:53 pm, April 02, 2014
California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

I like walking in the City, especially around Spitalfields Market and the Sunday Up Market.

http://www.sundayupmarket.co.uk/

7. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, April 02, 2014
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Oddly enough, your criteria is met in Balham.

There's actually one shop there that is a coffee shop, a vintage sales shop and a bookshop, all in one, Lavish Habit. Dotted around are many more of the same, plus pubs packed to the rafters with hipsters, 'creatives' and meedja types.

There's even a new shop just opened and I defy anyone looking in the window to work out what it actually sells, or does. it's either a vintage and curio decorators shop (ancient giant birdcages and glass topped sewing tables, orrrrrr...possibly...a clothes shop? There does seem to be a couple of dressmakers dummies at the back wearing (old?) dresses. Who knows. I couldn't even tell what it was called, so have now named it 'The House Of Useless Faffery'. I think this means the area is now officially 'hip'.

London, UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

I also like Spitalfields and neighbouring Upmarket on a Sunday, great market atmosphere, lots of independent and trendy little shops, large selection of vintage clothes and furniture, hip cafes. Nude Expresso is in the area.

If that's not enough, you can also wander over to Columbia Road for the Sunday flower market. The street itself is lined with dozens of lovely little boutiques not found elsewhere in London. The nearby Redchurch Street area is also great to wander around, again lots of good coffee places and great for watching London's young and design-y people (and the hipsters of course).

Only downside is no memorable bookshops that I can think of... there are a few second-hand stalls and shops I'm sure but I don't remember!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,907 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to hang out/walk

Stoke Newington High Street and Church Street.

Islington Angel and Islington Green.