We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to London eye for landmark views

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to London eye for landmark views

Hi, are there are any cheaper ways of getting up high to get views of the landmarks? We're having a day out in London with 3 under 6's and the cost of the fast track london eye tickets is a bit too much. Is there a cheaper way to show them some of the main landmarks all in one go since we'll be limited on time to try and visit them all?

Thanks

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

You could go up the dome of St Paul's perhaps, or the Monument. I don't know what admission prices are but their websites should give that info. Would you need fast track tickets? The queues seem to move very quickly so it may be doable with normal tickets, or maybe they are still too pricey.

Angie

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

Climb Primrose Hill. Free, and a superb panorama!

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

There's a free, but small, public viewing gallery at the OxoTower, from where you can look across the Thames to St Paul's: http://www.oxotower.co.uk

Take the lift to the eighth floor, and make your way around the swanky restaurant and bar to the outside platform.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

You won't see everything, but it is free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_LMAEj4IIU

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

Tower of Westminster Cathedral is also a good view. www.westminstercathedral.org.uk/tower.php I can't find the price on the website but I believe it is £5 for full-paying adults and £2.50 for concessions. Those prices were at least current two and a half years ago: telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/u…

Another option could be Paramount, the top two floors of Centre Point: http://www.paramount.uk.net (website not currently working, but I guess they will get it sorted soon enough). The cost is the cost of whatever you buy in the way of food and drink when you're up there. I don't know what the minimum is that you can decently have there. I am guessing that at a quiet time of day (I think that outside of meal times it gets pretty empty, at least during the day) you could just have tea/coffee/soft drinks and maybe a cake or similar.

Primrose Hill is also a brilliant suggestions. It's an amazing view. Another great view is from the top of Hampstead Heath.

Edited: 5:51 pm, March 30, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

Tate modern has great views of the city from the top floor. Greenwich for views of canary wharf. The new shopping centre behind St. Paul's also has good views.

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

Thanks everyone. will look into those suggestions

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

While all of the above have made some excellent suggestions, I don't think any of the views compare to the London eye. I even think that Shard would be too tall to get a great view. Sure you see a lot, but everything is so far away that you miss the detail. The Eye will give you better detail and the prices aren't all that expensive, especially if you book in advance. Depending on the ages of the children they could be free if under 4 or £12.60 if above 4. Add a little extra and you can also include a river cruise with your ticket. If a cruise was on your agenda, this will work out wonders.

Some of the other suggestions are not exactly central such as Primrose Hill and Hampstead Heath so you'll waste some time getting there. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely places to visit, but if you are stuck for time they may not be the best choices.

Good luck

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

I wouldn't book in advance for the Eye, since it is so weather-dependent. If you choose a day/time when it is rainy or mizzley or cloudy or foggy, you won't get the full impact/value of the ride. I know waiting in a queue with three under 6's can be a real trial, but the line does move quickly--each compartment can hold up to 30 people. We were just in London last week, staying in the County Hall area just by the Eye for several days--the queue was almost non-existent every day just at opening time. Perhaps you could arrange your visit so that a first thing in the day ride would work for you, buying the regularly priced tickets.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative to London eye for landmark views

"the cost of the fast track london eye tickets is a bit too much. Is there a cheaper way to show them some of the main landmarks all in one go since we'll be limited on time to try and visit them all?"

Yup. Don't buy fast track tickets. Standard tickets are £9.55 cheaper for adults, and £15.50 cheaper for children. So with 2 adults and 3 children you'd save £65.60.

The queues aren't really that long anyway and are constantly moving.