We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in London

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
One day in London

Hello! I will have one full day in London. I land at Heathrow around 9 am on Saturday morning and leave at 7 am on Sunday morning. Since I have a very early flight out of Heathrow the next morning I booked the Sofitel at the airport. I planned to check in and leave my bags at the hotel then head into London. I was thinking I would just do one of the hop on/hop off bus tours or is there a better option for sightseeing for the day? It's just me so just want something easy and safe to get to. Never been to London and looking forward to enjoying the little bit of time I have there!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in London

If you want to do a hop on hop off tour then if you get the Underground from Heathrow to Green Park station in Central London then as you exit the station they have one of the tour buses right there as your starting point.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in London

Hello! I will have one full day in London. I land at Heathrow around 9 am on Saturday morning

---------

So not a full day then ? :-). You'll be in central London by perhaps 1130.

Are you flying into T5? If so the Sofitel is an excellent choice. If not, then it's still a nice hotel but more hassle to get to.

For a good look around the hoho is fine, though if you buya one day travelcard at t5 you can use that to travel all round London without extra charge and there are a few ordinary buses that cover some of the route of the hoho though of course they don't have the commentary that a hoho will. As above taking the tube to green park is a good idea, hoho buses leave from there but if it's nice day it's also a central point to walk to buck palace and then catch a bus or tube or walk to places like, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square.

Edited: 4:50 am, March 22, 2014
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in London

Given that you are on your own, don't know London and may be tired, I think the hoho is a decent choice. Then you can look at the route and see where you are interested in stopping off.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in London

Thanks! Flying into terminal 4 as best I can tell but I picked the Sofitel because I fly out of Term 5 the next morning. I am not a morning person so I wanted super convenient for getting to my 7 am flight! LOL

If it is a nice day I like the idea of doing some walking as well. I just figured the hop on hop off would make it easy to get to several "big" sightseeing locations without having to think too much about it. Less concerned about commentary than convenience since I only have the day and it's just me.

Any recommendations on where to stop for lunch or dinner?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in London

I am not a morning person so I wanted super convenient for getting to my 7 am flight! c

=======

You literally cannot get better than the Sofitel in that case :-)

I suggest you grab lunch or dinner as you go, see what takes your fancy as and when, you could be almost anywhere and want anything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in London

One day. Too bad. The staff at the hotel will probably give you good advice, as long as they don't suggest that you take a cab! I would take the Piccadilly Line into the city to the Green Park or Piccadilly Circus stations. (they are one after the other and are right in the heart of the city). From there you can do an on/off bus tour or if the weather is nice, you can just start walking, (assuming you have looked over a travel book of London and can read street signs).

One important thing, if you do walk, pay attention and ALWAYS LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT! People do get hit by traffic because they look the wrong way.

7. Re: One day in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 27, 2015