We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

I will be taking a train from Liverpool St. to Ipswich for a day. I am thinking I will be at Gatwick airport the night of April 28th when I arrive from the US (exhausted), take the trip on April 29th and then fly from Gatwick on April 30th. A lot in a little time so I'm looking for the easiest way to get from Gatwick to Liverpool street alone, and back again at the end of the day. In previous posts I saw different options but they say the actual date matters...thanks for any help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Are you flying from the States to Gatwick? There are only a handful of flights from Florida and from Las Vegas that fly to Gatwick, and perhaps you've booked the latter.

In any event, at what time on the 29th do you want to travel from Gatwick to Liverpool Street? If before 1030 you will look to make the journey with hundreds of commuters, in standing room only trains. Unless this sounds appealing, consider travelling from Gatwick on the night of the 28th and booking an inexpensive hotel near Liverpool Street station for the night to save that headache the next morning.

Trains from Gatwick to Blackfriars or Farringdon will take you nearest Liverpool Street, but knowing the time you wish to travel is important.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Thanks Traveller, I am flying into Heathrow in the morning April 28th, so I know I will be ready to collapse so since I'll be at the Gatwick hotel on the 29th I was thinking it best to just take the bus there rather than try to handle luggage on the trains/tubes myself. I'll be there for 2 weeks so have 2 suitcases to haul around. The bus from one airport to another sounds the best plan for me. If it were the next day with rest, I would certainly consider staying near Liverpool Street. If I decide to do that, do you have an idea of a reasonable hotel? But then I would have to return there to get my luggage on returning and then have to make it to Gatwick anyway.

I'm not sure of the time, I don't know how long it takes to get from Gatwick to the Liverpool station so I cant figure out the time to leave liverpool until I know that. I would like to be in Ipswich by 11 or noon at the latest....thanks for your help!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Take the First Capital Connect to Blackfriars, then the tube to Liverpool St. From there Greater Anglia run trains to Ipswich.

Probably about an hour Gatwick - Liverpool St, maybe 45 mins if you are quick.

Liverpool St - Ipswich is 1 hour 20 mins, Trains depart every 30 minutes except late evenings and Sundays where they are only once an hour.

Edited: 5:52 pm, March 21, 2014
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Just to clarify, the station you want will be Liverpool Street in London, not 'Liverpool'. That would be a long way out of your way!

I'm confused by what you're trying to do - you've said you're arriving from Heathrow on the 28th and departing from Gatwick on the 30th, but then you mention staying for 2 weeks?

Gatwick is not convenient to go to Ipswich at all (especially at rush hour as TP mentions). If you are travelling from Heathrow, want to go to Ipswich and are then flying from Gatwick I would stay around Blackfriars. Easy on the underground from Heathrow, then circle line to get to Liverpool Street and mainline train to Gatwick.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

It seems a waste of time and energy to arrive at Heathrow, go to a Gatwick airport hotel with the intention of then travelling back to London the next morning.

The Travelodge Bethnal Green has rooms for £50 for the night of the 28th; the 8 and 388 from Bethnal Green Road will take you to Liverpool Street station the next morning in about 10 or 12 minutes, depending on traffic.

You may make an easy journey from Heathrow to the TL in Cambridge Heath Road by taking the Underground from LHR to Hammersmith; alight and cross the platform for an eastbound District line train. Alight from that train at Blackfriars, where there is an escalator up to the ticket hall, which is at street level.

Turn right out of the station and walk about a minute to bus stop A for the 388 tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/blac… Alight at stop D here, which will be announced as Bethnal Green station: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…bethnal-green.pdf Walk to the junction, turn right, and you'll see the TL on the right another minute's walk. I made this precise trip from Heathrow to the hotel a couple of weeks ago and it was painless, even after a long flight.

If you are determined to go to Gatwick then take the train to Blackfriars the next morning but don't take the Underground from there; instead take the 388 (as above) which will drop you at the top of the escalator down to Liverpool Street station.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Thanks all! I have to think about all of this. My trip is 2 weeks, from London I head off to Italy and then a week cruise, so lots of travel in a short time. If I were rested the journey would make sense to stay at Blackfriars, but I know how hard the jet lag is on me, especially since I'm not laying over on the way there which makes all the difference in the world for me. Thanks for checking out the prices for me, will do more investigating, but still I need a place for my luggage.

I travel alone and can't walk a lot so my plans don't make sense to many people, but I try to make it work for me and I really hope to get to Ipswich to see friends, but what a journey it is in London!

I've not heard of the First Capital Connect so my research continues. Thanks again!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

If you would like to take the Underground on another step free journey from LHR to central London with decent access to Liverpool Street for the train to Ipswich, then consider this: http://www.accessstorage.com/left-luggage/

The Access facility is immediately across the road from KX station (with an escalator up from platform to ticket hall and lift up to street level), no more than a minute's walk and that includes time waiting for traffic to clear. Take the Underground from Heathrow on arrival day after having booked an inexpensive hotel near KX. Leave your bags at Access the next morning and take the Circle, Metropolitan or Hammersmith & City line train from KX to Liverpool Street (very nearly step free, perhaps four in all at Liverpool Street) for the trip to Ipswich. For the return journey to your hotel near King's Cross, take the 205 bus so you may avoid the stairs up and down for the westbound Underground journey.

When you need to travel to Gatwick, take a FCC train from St Pancras to the airport; travel time about 50 minutes. St Pancras has lifts and esclators from street level to the plaforms.

Without specific flight dates and times it is difficult to suggest more that might work, but overall I still think that traipsing to an aiport in the opposite direction of Liverpool Street is counterproductive since there *are* alternatives.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Thank you Traveller, this sounds much less daunting. I have an early flight from Gatwick so I would spend the night I get back from Ipswich at the Gatwick hotel. So I would need to take the train there that night...oh I'm thinking I may have planned too much in too little time.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

The way I'd do it is Gatwick Airport to London Bridge

Jubilee Line London Bridge to Stratford

Stratford to Ipswich via Greater Anglia

Both London bridge and Stratford have lifts; not sure about LBG national rail station

Essex
Level Contributor
27,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool St. Station

Whilst I realise it is a nice thing to do, to visit your Ipswich friends, and also to see somewhere different in the UK, it does sound like it is a rather arduous addition to YOUR trip...

By all means go ahead, it is do-able just about, and we all must do what we must do, eh??

However, is there no way your friends could come to see you in London that day instead? It sure would make your life easier and for them, not too terrible!

After all, you have already travelled many miles to see them, surely the can travel the 80 odd miles from Ipswich to London to see you. Eh?